Typing this from my two week old 1000HA. I saw the 900 series in Target one day and almost bought it. The serious lack of space kept me from pulling the trigger. After searching the web when I got home I saw the 1000HA with the 160GB HDD and pulled the trigger. Overall I'm very pleased with the laptop/netbook to this point.
1. The keyboard could be a little larger.
2. The touchpad is atrocious. I can't get the scroll to work worth a damn.
3. There is no way (that I know of) to turn Speedstep off. Meaning, if I'm running Photoshop or my company's CAD app I want the 1.8Ghz all the time.
4. The non-standard display resolution.
5. The HDD is split into 3 partitions, 2 available and 1 hidden.
6. Standard drivers don't play nice with standard hardware. Updating to the updated Realtek HD drivers trashed my headphone port.
1. The battery life is outstanding. If you set the Super Hybrid Engine to Power Save and disable the wireless card and web cam you can get 4 hours on the battery easily.
2. While being a netbook it can run Photoshop and my CAD package.
3. It fits nicely on an airplane tray. Big plus here since I'm on the road all the time.
4. Built-in SD card reader. Comes in handy when I'm out of town and need to get some pictures emailed.
5. The price is what really sold me since I wasn't in the market for a laptop.
While it seems like the cons outweigh the pros I am really pleased with the PC.
I only skimmed the article but I assume you are talking about the size of the Desktop icons and the Start Menu. I changed mine back to Windows' default using TuneUp Utilities 2008.