I just got my hands on a brand new Philips 42" 1080P LCD HDTV for under $500 and hooked it up last night... The firmware that came on the TV was 1.07 and the latest available was 1.15! Be sure to check out for firmware updates for your TV as they fix problems that have been found since the TV was released. Just download the firmware update to your PC, put it on a USB flash drive, plug it into the tv, turn on the TV, and let the firmware install! It is very simple and something not many people know about from what I found out by asking friends.
Here is a picture of my Firmware update that I just did to a Philips 42PFL3603D/27B... The list of fixes was huge... 19 improvements and fixes!
Following issues were solved with each Firmware update:
• TV turns OFF and ON by itself randomly when viewing TV and AV channels.
• No picture, no sound & no back light but LED is turned ON when the TV wake up from
• Translation errors in Spanish and France TV menu
• Rephrase the help texts for the Retail and Home mode in the TV menu
• Digital Natural Motion feature is turned ON but it shows OFF in the TV menu.
• Picture expanded vertically in digital channel.
• Incorrect clock information update
• Jiggled image with the SD signal source (480i/480p) in AV1, AV2 and PC mode.
• No video after Play Station 2 console system reset.
• Picture expanded vertically with the HDMI source, 1080p 60Hz, 16:9 widescreen format.
• Picture a little bit blur (Scaling artifacts) in PC mode, 1080p 60Hz input.
• Picture format changing too frequently during movie playback
• Intermittent picture flicker on white background at high contrast level (only applicable for
• Intermittent picture lost when poor video signal is connected through AV1 or AV2 inputs.
• TV menu shifted horizontally to the right when viewing PAL “50Hz” signal from either the
AV source or Off-air transmission. (Only applicable for 42” & 47” models).
• Picture and TV menu shifted horizontally to the right when viewing PAL “50Hz” signal
from either the AV source or Off-air transmission. (Only applicable for 52” models).
• Faint image is still visible for a few seconds after TV is turn off.
• Improvement on motion picture judder when “Digital Natural Motion” menu is turned ON.
• Improvement on start up problem.