Samsung 470 Series 256GB SSD Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!

Postby Apoptosis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:43 am

Samsung has released their 470 Series line of SSDs which feature Samsung components exclusively. This is a refreshing change from the legions of SandForce clones out there but can they compete with the best drives we've tested and how will they stand up over time? We'll answer one and unveil our plan for the other in our review.

Overall, we were duly impressed with the 470 Series and it exceeded its rated specifications of 250MB/s reads and 220MB/s writes in nearly every benchmark we threw at it. With Samsung being a relatively new player in the consumer SSD market, they are getting off to a great start. Samsung really surprised us with their 256GB 470 Series solid state drive. It performed above expectations on nearly every benchmark and kept pace with the SandForce drives that seem to the darling of the industry right now.

Article Title: Samsung 470 Series 256GB SSD Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1532/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $485.99 plus shipping
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung 470 Series 256GB SSD Review

Postby BillyBuerger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 pm

As with all SSDs today, the portion of storage actually available to the user is less that what is physically on board and the Samsung 470 Series is no different. After Windows takes its administrative cut and the chunk set aside in overprovisioning, the user is left with 238GB usable space. This is only 7% unavailable which is a rather low percentage knowing that some drives set aside nearly 20%.

I still see this said in storage reviews. If you look at the amount of space reported by windows, it's almost exactly 256 billion bytes in decimal. But since everything in a computer is binary ...

256,058,060,800 bytes / 1024 ...
250,056,700 KB / 1024 ...
244,195 MB / 1024 ...
238 GB

All drives I've seen are advertised by decimal, not binary space. It has nothing to do with over provisioning or file system overhead or anything. Not that those things don't use space on the drive, but it's not anything that can be seen directly. Over provisioning happens inside the drive and the OS knows nothing about it. And file system overhead isn't factored into the total available space. Just that if you put a 4 byte file on your drive, it will use up more than 4 bytes.

It's similar to the issue with drives bigger than 2TB being a problem with today's BIOS's. It's reported as a 2.199TB issue which seems an odd number to hit a problem at until you realize that it's 2.199 in decimal which comes out to 2TB exactly in binary.
BillyBuerger
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Postby Tektonic » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm

I have been reading the TRIM functionality on these drives are very slow. It takes a long, long time (5+ days maybe?) for TRIM to do it's job and recover the write speeds. Has anyone noticed this issue? It's the only thing keeping me for buying one of these drives and recommending it to others.

I know this review site has stated they will be using this drive exclusively, so I am eager awaiting their updated review of the drive to see if they notice any issues with TRIM as reported by another review site.
Tektonic
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Postby FZ1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Typically TRIM gets triggered when you empty your recycle bin on the desktop. You should see some extended I/O activity after this is performed. Are you referring to idle garbage collection instead?
Joe
FZ1

Postby Tektonic » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:33 pm

I was referring to the follow finding from another website talking about TRIM. http://techreport.com/articles.x/20087/5

I understand how TRIM and idle GC works. However, according to the article, it doesn't seem like TRIM works right away. Meaning, it doesn't seem to trigger when you do something like empty the recycle bin. The Indilinx controller worked that way, but it doesn't seem like the one from Samsung (Toshiba?) works that way.
Tektonic
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Postby FZ1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Bear in mind that the usage of a drive during benchmarking isn't the same as normal use so you aren't going to see performance just take a nose dive all of a sudden. The drive dirties and TRIM comes a long and cleans up. Even if there were no TRIM, through normal use it would be months before you noticed a difference, if then.
Joe
FZ1

Return to Legit Reviews Review Forum