• Thin and light, the Timeline Ultra M5 Series Ultrabooks measure just .81 inches thin.
• With 8 hours of battery life(1), a single charge provides a full day of computing.
• Acer Green Instant On resumes the computer from sleep in less than 2 seconds and from deep sleep in 6 seconds(2).
• Acer Always Connect gets you to the web in 2.5 seconds(3).
• Setting a new standard in Ultrabook performance, the Timeline Ultra M5 Series includes 3rd Generation Intel® Core processors, the latest in NVIDIA discrete graphics, optical drives, and 14- and 15.6-inch displays.
SAN JOSE, Calif., June 20, 2012 – Acer America today announced the Aspire Timeline Ultra M5 line of Ultrabooks in the U.S. Slimmer and lighter than earlier generations of the Timeline series, the new Timeline Ultra models are just .81 inches thin, weigh as little as 4.3 pounds and offer the best of both worlds – a slim, lightweight design, larger displays, all-day battery life(1), and powerful Intel and NVIDIA technologies – making them some of the most robust and versatile Ultrabooks on the market.
Slim, Stylish and Strong, All Day Long
The ultra-thin profile of the Ultra M5 Series delivers a minimalist, modern look. The stylish silver cover is made of an aluminum alloy that not only looks modern and elegant, but adds to the system’s overall sturdiness. The 15.6-inch models include a sleek edge-to-edge display that keeps the LCD screen smooth and streamlined. A full-size chiclet keyboard with an independent standard numeric keypad makes typing more comfortable and increases productivity.
These no-compromise Ultrabooks provide up to 8 hours(1) of computing on a single charge via the PowerSmart long-life battery pack which provides up to three times longer battery life cycles than traditional batteries (1,000 vs. 300 cycles). These batteries also maintain 80 percent capacity after the 1,000 cycle count, which means the battery will last longer, reducing the need to replace it (4). In addition, advanced thermal technology keeps users comfortable even when the Timeline Ultra is placed on a lap.
Instantly On, Always Connected for Today’s “Always On” Lifestyle
Featuring the innovative “Acer Green Instant On” and “Acer Always Connect” technologies, users can manage their multimedia and data on all their devices at anytime, anywhere.
• Acer Green Instant On resumes the Timeline Ultra’s computing session from sleep in less than 2 seconds and from deep sleep in 6 seconds(2); the 20GB SSD drive returns to the PC’s state just as it was left. Turn the PC back on, and any websites, emails or documents that were left open are instantly restored and ready.
• Acer Always Connect connects to the web in 2.5 seconds(3) by remembering previously used Wi-Fi spots. When they come within range again, the Timeline Ultra M5 instantly connects to the Internet, so consumers can immediately access instant messaging, Internet services and email after the system resumes.
Powerful Features, including New Technologies from Intel and NVIDIA
Depending on configuration, the Timeline Ultra Series offers 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i3 or Core i5 processors, NVIDIA discrete graphics and 14-inch LCDs or 15.6-inch edge-to-edge displays. All models include a 2-spindle design (DVD drive and hard drive). A 500GB hard disk drive(5) offers plenty of space for large files, while a 20GB integrated solid state drive enables instant-on capability.
Featuring two USB 3.0 ports, consumers can charge external devices when the Timeline Ultra is in sleep, hibernation or even when it’s turned off. Transfer speeds will be up to 10 times faster than older generations of USB(6).
Entertainment Features include Discrete Graphics, DVD Drive, Backlit Keyboard, Dolby Audio and more
For those that like to play, the Timeline Ultra M5 Series includes models with top-of-the-line entertainment enhancements, maximizing the value of these super slim designs. For powerful gaming or video editing, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE dedicated graphics powers the latest games with amazing special effects and incredible detail. HD video and photos can be created quickly with GPU-accelerated software and popular photo applications. In addition, NVIDIA Optimus technology delivers the performance of dedicated graphics when needed, and conserves battery life when not in use.
Backlit keyboards make it easy to game or type in low light conditions, while the professionally-tuned Dolby® Home Theater® v4 and premium speakers deliver high volume, clear dialogue and crisp sound effects for games, music and movies.
While still maintaining a thin and light design, the Timeline Ultra M5 Series features a built-in optical drive, allowing consumers to burn file copies of their data for safekeeping, or pop in a disk to enjoy movies or music. An HDMI port allows for easy connection to a big screen TV or monitor.
And whether users are managing a large or small library, Acer clear.fi™ makes it easy to manage, store, share, and enjoy media among any clear.fi-enabled devices, in any room throughout the home.
Staying in touch with friends, family and co-workers across the miles is easy with Acer’s advanced 1.3 megapixel HD webcam. It enables crystal-clear video chat sessions and snaps still pictures in HD, providing high pixel density for amazing video image quality at 24 frames per second.
Anti-Theft Technology Protects Data and Provides Peace of Mind
Whether the Timeline Ultra M5 is for home use to keep track of finances and other secure personal information or for business to access corporate data and applications, Intel Anti-Theft Technology(7) (Intel® AT) allows owners to quickly and easily disable their lost or stolen Ultrabook remotely from anywhere in the world, making the computer useless to thieves.
Because the technology is built right into the BIOS, it’s activated as soon as the machine is turned on—even before startup. It works without Internet access and is hardware based, so it is tamper resistant. If the Timeline Ultra M5 is lost or stolen, a local or remote “poison pill” can be activated that renders the laptop completely inoperable. Once it’s returned, it can be easily reactivated without harm to the notebook’s data or digital content.
This feature is available on all Timeline Ultra M5 models, and requires a service subscription from an Intel AT-enabled service provider.
All models in the Timeline Ultra M5 Series also include Acer AntiTheft, a free software based solution. When enabled, the Ultrabook recognizes the distance from a designated WiFi signal source, and if the system moves beyond 10 feet of the signal, a loud siren will sound from the Ultrabook’s speakers. This feature can easily be enabled and disabled, and will be especially useful when traveling.
Pricing and Availability
The Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M5 Series of Ultrabooks will be available at http://us-store.acer.com/ and leading retailers across the U.S. beginning at the end of June. Prices begin at $679.99 and range up to $829.99.
Customers who buy an Acer Ultrabook PC pre-loaded with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate will be eligible to purchase Windows 8 Pro for only $14.99 (U.S.) ERP. The Offer is valid June 2, 2012 through January 31, 2013, for complete details visit http://windowsupgradeoffer.com.
Since its founding in 1976, Acer has broken barriers between people and technology, enabling users to explore, create and grow. Acer ranks No. 2 for notebook PCs globally(8). The Acer Group employs 8,000 people across the globe, and revenues for 2011 reached US$15.7 billion. Acer's channel business model is instrumental to the company's success, while its multi-brand approach integrates Acer, Gateway and Packard Bell brands in worldwide markets. Acer designs environmentally friendly products and, with its vendors, has established a green supply chain. Acer is proud to be a Worldwide Partner of the Olympic Movement. That includes supporting the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games and London 2012 Olympic Games. More information is at http://www.acer-group.com.
1) Based on MobileMark® 2007 productivity mode testing with wireless on. Details of MobileMark 2007 testing are available at http://www.bapco.com. Battery life rating is for comparison purposes only. Actual battery life varies depending on product specifications, computer settings and application or features launched. All batteries' maximum capacity diminishes with time and use.
2) Time based on testing with the following applications open: Internet Explorer® 9 (Internet search and email web pages), PowerPoint® viewer (file size 68 MB) and Excel® (file size 108 MB) of Microsoft® Office® 2010 Starter, and logged in to Windows Live® Messenger 2011.
3) In about 2.5 seconds with previously used access points. Time based on testing with the following applications open – Internet Explorer 9® (Internet search and email web pages), Powerpoint® viewer (file size 68MB) and Excel® (file size 10MB) of Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter –and with the computer logged into Windows Live® Messenger 2011.
4) Battery life varies depending on product specifications, computer settings and applications or features launched. All batteries' maximum capacity diminishes with time and use.
5) Accessible capacity varies: (MB = 1 million bytes; GB = 1 billion bytes).
6) USB 3.0 is capable of transfer speeds of up to 5Gbps (gigabits per second), a little over 10 times faster than USB 2.0's 480Mbps (1,000Mbps equals 1Gbps). Mileage may vary depending on hardware configuration, but it will always be much faster than USB 2.0.
7) No system can provide absolute security under all conditions. Requires an enabled chipset, BIOS, firmware, and software, and a subscription with a capable service provider. Consult your system manufacturer and service provider for availability and functionality. Neither Acer nor Intel assumes any liability for lost or stolen data and/or systems or any other damages resulting thereof. For more information, visit http://www.intel.com/go/anti-theft.
Source: Gartner data FY 2011.