June 25 2013 – Razer™, the world leader in high-performance gaming hardware, software and systems, today announced the latest member of its software family: Razer Surround.
Razer Surround is a state-of-the-art audio engine that provides 7.1 virtual surround sound with any stereo headphones. The current generation of virtual surround technology often provides inaccurate listening experiences because individuals perceive sound differently based on their distinct ear sizes and shapes. As such, virtual surround sound traditionally falls short compared to discrete surround sound setups.
With the patent-pending Razer Surround audio engine, users have the option to calibrate their personal surround sound settings through a series of listening tests to match their preferences, giving them far superior positional sound over traditional virtual solutions. Razer Surround gives gamers a truly individualized 7.1 surround sound and attuned 3D audio experience, allowing them to acoustically pinpoint exact locations of opponents in game, providing “the unfair advantage” in gameplay.
Razer Surround is available as a complementary software add-on, integrated within Razer’s Synapse 2.0 application, offering virtual 7.1 surround sound and storing individual audio signatures in the cloud. These settings can be accessed anytime and will automatically update new systems to previous calibrated settings.
In recognition of the support that the gaming community gives Razer, and in solidarity with its trade partners in gaming, Razer has waived the US$19.99 price for Razer Surround through December 2013, so that people who sign-up during this period will get a free copy of the program. During this timeframe, users will also have the option to make a donation of any amount to Child’s Play (http://www.childsplaycharity.org
) after their download start. Everyone signing-up from Jan. 1, 2014, onward, will pay the full price of $19.99.
While the donations to Child’s Play are purely voluntary and users can choose to download Razer Surround for free, Razer hopes that through this initiative users can together with Razer help children in hospitals around the world enjoy games like we do.
Child’s Play’s stated mission is “… to improve the lives of children in hospitals around the world through the kindness and generosity of the video game industry and the power of play.” As of the date of this release, the philanthropy had raised more than US$5 million in contributions.
“With the individual calibration of Razer Surround, we’re setting a new standard in 7.1 virtual surround sound,” says Min-Liang Tan, Razer co-founder, CEO and creative director. “We’re a big believer of giving back to our fans and the gaming community, and making Razer Surround available free with a donation to Child’s Play in 2013 is a testament of our commitment to giving back to current and future gamers of the world.”
About Razer Surround
Razer Surround gives gamers an enhanced virtual 7.1 channel surround sound experience with any stereo headphones.
Using state-of-the-art technology, the surround sound algorithms powering Razer Surround creates an unbelievably accurate surround sound environment and allows gamers to calibrate positional sound to match their own unique preferences. This level of calibration allows Razer Surround to provide an incredible level of precision in-game, allowing gamers to have the unfair advantage.
· Calibrate to your individual preferences
· Pre-configured calibrations for all Razer Audio products
· Bass boost – For a thundering bass
· Sound normalization – Reduce loudness variation
· Voice clarity – For crystal clear incoming voice communication
· Voice level – Adjust the level of incoming voice communication
· Custom & 11 pre-set equalizer settings
· Works with any stereo headset/headphones
Operating Systems Support:
· Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
· Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter / Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Ultimate
· Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter / Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Ultimate
· 100 MB of free hard disc space
· Razer Synapse 2.0 registration (requiring a valid e-mail), software download, license acceptance, and internet connection needed to activate full features of product and for software updates. After activation, full features are available in optional offline mode.
Worldwide – Available Now
Signup in 2013 – Free
Signup 1 Jan. 2014 and later – 19.99 USD
For more information about the Razer Surround, please visit http://www.razerzone.com/surround