ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!

ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

Postby Apoptosis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:35 am

Today we’ll be taking a look at the ECS LIVA MINI PC KIT with 32GB of eMMC for storage needs. ECS configured the LIVA Min PC kit with an Intel BayTrail-M SoC (Intel Celeron Processor N2807), 2GB 1333MHz DDR3L memory, 32GB of eMMC and a M.2 form factor combo wireless card that supports 802.11b/g/n wireless and Bluetooth 4.0. All the hardware you need to install Windows 8.1 or Linux comes with the kit, so you just need to assemble it and slap on the OS. Read on to see how it goes together and how it performs.


Image
Image

Article Title: ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/ecs-liva-mi ... iew_149091
Pricing At Time of Print: $132.99 after a $33 promo code at Newegg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
User avatar
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 33034
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Re: ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

Postby XstollieX » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:43 am

Not a bid little system. I don't get the ability to run off of a battery pack though. You'll still need power to drive a monitor to see what you're working on.
User avatar
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:51 am

Re: ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

Postby gwolfman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 am

Interesting.

Can you provide either a close up picture of the sticker on the power brick or provide the specifications listed? I'm assuming 5v DC output as it's a USB connector, but how many watts is it rated for?

Thanks!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:57 am
Location: USA

Re: ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

Postby gwolfman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:16 am

XstollieX wrote:Not a bid little system. I don't get the ability to run off of a battery pack though. You'll still need power to drive a monitor to see what you're working on.

Maybe true for Windows, but if you're running Linux you could have a service running on there that others can connect to and no need for a monitor. Here's a possible situation:

Plug in the battery pack to your LIVA and let it boot. Walk (or sit) around the mall with your machine configured to act an open Wi-Fi access point, act as a web proxy and capture people's network traffic.

Just an idea, but it's possible, and no keyboard or monitor are required.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:57 am
Location: USA

Re: ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

Postby Apoptosis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:49 pm

gwolfman wrote:Interesting.

Can you provide either a close up picture of the sticker on the power brick or provide the specifications listed? I'm assuming 5v DC output as it's a USB connector, but how many watts is it rated for?

Thanks!



Sure! It is rated for 3Amps, so that would be 15 Watts.

adapter.jpg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
User avatar
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 33034
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Re: ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

Postby gwolfman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks for getting back to me on this! (The reason I love LR.)

Not aware of any third party 5 volts x 3 amperes power supplies, so finding a replacement might be difficult.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:57 am
Location: USA

Re: ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

Postby mandm » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:35 pm

gwolfman wrote:
XstollieX wrote:Not a bid little system. I don't get the ability to run off of a battery pack though. You'll still need power to drive a monitor to see what you're working on.

Maybe true for Windows, but if you're running Linux you could have a service running on there that others can connect to and no need for a monitor. Here's a possible situation:

Plug in the battery pack to your LIVA and let it boot. Walk (or sit) around the mall with your machine configured to act an open Wi-Fi access point, act as a web proxy and capture people's network traffic.

Just an idea, but it's possible, and no keyboard or monitor are required.


Have you been able to create an AP mode with the LIVA PC, i installed ubuntu 12.04 on it and am trying to start the hostapd and it keeps erroring out?
mandm
Legit Little One
Legit Little One
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 pm


Return to Legit Reviews Review Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests