Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!

Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Apoptosis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:48 am

Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

The WD TV HD Media Player turns your NAS or external storage drive into an HD media player. Connect your USB hard drive to this device and you can instantly play crisp HD movies, listen to high-quality digital music, and watch slideshows of your family photos on your TV. No need to figure out complicated home networking or reconnect AV and power cables. What could be simpler?

Image

Article Title: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1118/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $119.99 at Best Buy
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
User avatar
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 32936
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby shaxs » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:25 pm

I still think the Xbox 360 is the best media extender... I was not digging the UI on this machine. My Buffalo LinkTheater PC-P3LWG/DVD server software does not work on Win 7. So, I had to buy a used Xbox 360 for only $70 sans games and controllers. All I need it the box and a remote I will buy at BestBuy.... still the best option. The Xbox 360 can now play HD MKV files.
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:37 am

shaxs wrote:I still think the Xbox 360 is the best media extender... I was not digging the UI on this machine. My Buffalo LinkTheater PC-P3LWG/DVD server software does not work on Win 7. So, I had to buy a used Xbox 360 for only $70 sans games and controllers. All I need it the box and a remote I will buy at BestBuy.... still the best option. The Xbox 360 can now play HD MKV files.

I hear ya. I think your solution *might* be the cheapest. I still like my PS3 for the Blu-ray and the media server combo. I don't know if you are using it, but the PS3 Media Server software works great for every OS platform (and for Xbox) and will let your stream everything but the dreaded Blu-ray ISO.

Still looking for the perfect box, but the WD TV Live is a good step forward with a good price point. I also think that if you have someone in your house who isn't exactly tech-savvy, then a simplistic OS is not a bad thing. I know that my kid loves the fact that he can check out his Transformers Animated on demand with a few clicks. It's good for him and it keeps him away from my computer and PS3! ;)
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:28 pm

By the way, Western Digital has launched a community site for those interested in the WD TV. You will find the latest updates, news, resources, and tutorials there. Interesting to see a Windows 7 streaming tutorial there already.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:35 pm

UPDATE (11/04/09):

After the problems we had with the pre-production sample, Western Digital was kind enough to send us a replacement unit for testing. Our new WD TV Live had none of the “glitches” that we talked about above. The networking and connectivity to our NAS and shared network files worked flawlessly. 1080p MKV Blu-ray rips worked flawlessly over the network as well as M2TS streams. The only hiccup was our dreaded Blu-ray ISOs.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:12 pm

An update from Western Digital:

Exciting news! Today we released a firmware update for WD TV Live Player. We have a little bit for everyone- a few new features and a few resolutions making everyone’s WD TV Live Player experience even better.

We have added some new features and enhancements you are sure to enjoy. Here are the top 3 you don’t want to miss:

• Support for more USB wireless LAN adapters.
• User selectable on/off for fade in and fade out effect while browsing files.
• Resolution of no audio when there is only a single, center channel audio stream in a video.

So turn on your WD TV Live Player today and get updated! If you want to manually retrieve your update click here. No matter how you get your update we want to hear your thoughts. So leave us a comment or give us a shout on Twitter @WDTVLive and let us know what you think, what else you would like to see in the upcoming updates, or just tell us how much you love WD TV Live- we’ll take it all!

- Your WD TV Team

Ps. We have more in store so make sure to connect with us on Twitter @WDTVLive to get exclusive news about updates, products and more!

I installed the update and I still can't use my Netgear Wireless-N dual-band adapter and Blu-ray ISOs are still choppy over the network. At least they are trying!
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Zertz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Digital Puppy wrote:Blu-ray ISOs are still choppy over the network. At least they are trying!

Could that be because of the decryption that has to be done?
User avatar
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:19 pm
Location: Magog, Quebec

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:13 pm

Zertz wrote:
Digital Puppy wrote:Blu-ray ISOs are still choppy over the network. At least they are trying!

Could that be because of the decryption that has to be done?

Yeah, kinda....Most of the ISOs I tested play on the WDTV Live when you attach an external hard drive. I'm having problems when trying to play these files (along with VOBs) over the network. The problem is most likely the speed of the Ethernet port (10/100) is just not fast enough to keep up with what is required to transcode these files.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Zertz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:27 pm

Digital Puppy wrote:Yeah, kinda....Most of the ISOs I tested play on the WDTV Live when you attach an external hard drive. I'm having problems when trying to play these files (along with VOBs) over the network. The problem is most likely the speed of the Ethernet port (10/100) is just not fast enough to keep up with what is required to transcode these files.

That's odd. Maybe there's something going on with their Ethernet controller, 100 Mbps should be more than enough!
User avatar
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:19 pm
Location: Magog, Quebec

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby KnightRid » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:46 am

Digital Puppy wrote:
Zertz wrote:
Digital Puppy wrote:Blu-ray ISOs are still choppy over the network. At least they are trying!

Could that be because of the decryption that has to be done?

Yeah, kinda....Most of the ISOs I tested play on the WDTV Live when you attach an external hard drive. I'm having problems when trying to play these files (along with VOBs) over the network. The problem is most likely the speed of the Ethernet port (10/100) is just not fast enough to keep up with what is required to transcode these files.


and that is why I dont understand why they dont add gigabit - 100mbps is good for a streaming movie IF nothing else is going on over the network. So much slows down network performance its not even funny!

Mike
Cigar Blogs I do reviews for - http://www.stogiereview.com and http://www.stogie411.com
User avatar
KnightRid
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3109
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:21 am
Location: Dallastown, PA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:49 am

Fimware 1.01.12 Released!!
Installing the new firmware on your WD TV Live is simple. Just connect your WD TV Live to an Internet connection and the WD TV Live will automatically check and notify you a new firmware is available for update at the Home menu. Confirm the action and the WD TV will be automatically updated.

This critical update improves the reliability and performance of the WD TV Live product update manager. It's important to install this update to ensure the reliability of all future software and firmware updates.

For more information, visit the Western Digital TV Live Product Update Page.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:08 am

Digital Puppy wrote:Fimware 1.01.12 Released!!
Installing the new firmware on your WD TV Live is simple. Just connect your WD TV Live to an Internet connection and the WD TV Live will automatically check and notify you a new firmware is available for update at the Home menu. Confirm the action and the WD TV will be automatically updated.

This critical update improves the reliability and performance of the WD TV Live product update manager. It's important to install this update to ensure the reliability of all future software and firmware updates.

For more information, visit the Western Digital TV Live Product Update Page.

There are a bunch of reports (here, here, and here) from users that this firmware update has "bricked" many WDTV Live units. Western Digital still has the firmware update listed on its site, but we recommend that users hold off on updating their unit until a solution is found and a more stable version is released.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:31 pm

Western Digital has finally responded to users after taking the contaminated firmware (v1.01.12) update off of their website today.

A small percentage of our users are experiencing a problem with WD TV Media Players when they update to the newest firmware release (version 1.01.12).

We’re investigating the issue. Until we indentify the root cause, we’ve removed update version 1.01.12.

If you’ve successfully updated to version 1.01.12 there’s nothing further you need to do.

If you are experiencing any problems with your WD TV player, contact our customer service.

As soon as we learn more we’ll post the information here.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:14 am

Here’s the latest update regarding the firmware update 1.01.12 for WD TV Live HD Media Players

We have tracked the problem to the Internet update process for WD TV Live firmware version 1.01.12. The firmware version is functioning normally, the problem intermittently occurred when using the Internet to update WD TV Live to version 1.01.12. If you’ve successfully installed update 1.01.12, there’s nothing further you need to do.

If your product failed during the update process, we will replace it free of charge. Please contact our customer service department.

The product in stores and shipping today is functioning normally. Update version 1.01.11, and the Internet update process for 1.01.11 are also functioning normally. So if you own a product that you haven’t updated, or buy a product today, you can safely update it with version 1.01.11, which is now the most current update.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

- Your WD TV Team
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:53 am

Another update for those with "bricked" WDTV Live units:

FAQ for WD TV Live Devices affected by Firmware Release 1.01.12 Options

For those who have had WD TV Live Media Players fail from the recent 1.01.12 firmware update (12/04/09), we apologize for the aggravation you suffered over this, and we want to thank you for your patience as we work this out.

What do I do if my WD TV Live stopped functioning after the update?

* If your device failed after the update, you will need to replace it. WD will replace all units, at our expense, that were damaged due to the firmware release, whether they failed through the auto-update, USB update, or by update from our web site.

How do I go about getting the WD TV Live replaced?


* If it's possible, you have the option to return it to the place of purchase for a replacement.
* If you can't return it to the place of purchase, you can replace it through WD. You can create an RMA online or contact us for assistance.

Who will be responsible for my shipping costs?

* WD will pay for shipping. Once you create an RMA, you will receive an email with a link to your pre-paid UPS shipping label. Just click on the link, print the label, and tape it to the shipping container; and please follow the rest of WD’s RMA procedures.
* For customers outside the US, you can still create an RMA online, but you will need to contact WD's Customer Service and Support for your region to get your shipping label.

If I already paid for a label, can I get reimbursed?

* If your RMA was created after December 3rd, 2009 for a WD Live Media Player that failed due to the firmware 1.01.12 update, please contact us for reimbursement. Please make sure to have your RMA number available. If your RMA was created before December 3rd, 2009, it will be not eligible for reimbursement.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Egger » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:55 am

I've recently purchased WDTV Live player and was searching the net for some ways to customize its interface. Maybe someone could share his or her experience too?
I managed to set up an alternative bRad firmware and now am able to create graphic catalogs with covers and movie info backgrounds for my collection. I use Movienizer for downloading information about my films and creating these catalogs. Looks like this:
Image

Has anyone used other options or programs for customizing?
My favorite movie cataloger
Egger
Legit Little One
Legit Little One
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:44 am

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Digital Puppy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Egger wrote:I've recently purchased WDTV Live player and was searching the net for some ways to customize its interface. Maybe someone could share his or her experience too?
I managed to set up an alternative bRad firmware and now am able to create graphic catalogs with covers and movie info backgrounds for my collection. I use Movienizer for downloading information about my films and creating these catalogs. Looks like this:
Image

Has anyone used other options or programs for customizing?

That looks pretty nice! You used the bRad firmware with the Gen 1 WDTV? or Gen 2? I was hoping the WD update would have had a movie info download, but yours seems pretty slick.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
User avatar
Digital Puppy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: LA LA Land, CA

Re: Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player

Postby Egger » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:57 am

Yes, this is bRad's 1.02.21_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.3.1 firmware. Performed on WDTV Live :) Created with this useful software. Give it a try, I'm toying with it during the whole week already :lol:
My favorite movie cataloger
Egger
Legit Little One
Legit Little One
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:44 am


Return to Legit Reviews Review Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests