See..that's the problem...there is always something better and that's great. I'm not wanting "Top of the line" stuff, i am just confused when something totally new comes out and is pretty close in price, like hte 2.8c and 2.8e. My main concern is to run photoshop very very quickly and with incredible stability. On top of that, games, music, etc, is a next priority. After looking around, a piv 2.8 seems to be best compromise between speed and stability and price, so i've been looking around at what supports HT with the 800 fsb and ddr400 ram, and an SATA harddrive in the 80 gb range with at least an option for another HD. My photofiles are between 36 and 400 MB, so they take up a good bit of HD space and saving to CD/DVD isn't the best option for files you work with that often.. I'll also be going up to a gig of ram when the budget allows.
So far, it seems i've come to this conclusion, lemme know if you see any problems. Most parts will be bought throuhg newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com, any other suggestions will be readily accepted.
1. Piv 2.8C 800 fsb, HT processor. priced about $180 the P2.8e is about $185...so i am torn there...
2. Abit IC7 Mobo, seems to be stable, etc, and at $100 is a good value, unless someone can suggest otherwise
3. 512 kingston pc3200 ram by way of 2 256 chips (is this how i would buy them, i havne't been to a real store yet to see how they are sold
4. Seagate or Western Digital 80GB sata with 8 mb cache hd for a bit less than $100
5. Case...i really have no idea yet, got any suggestions
6. Cdrw, memorex or sony, about $50
7. radeon 9200 or 9600, not sure, depends on what price/what sale i can find, honestly...unless there is an inexpensive alternative
missing anything? I have monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc
missing anythign major? i'm thinking about 400-450 watt psu, probably integrated with the case, depends...
thanks for any help