So I just ran speedtest at school.....

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: So I just ran speedtest at school.....

Post by Apoptosis »

Got some crazy download speeds this morning at 6am...

Ran a test -

Download Speed: 59.39 Mbps (7.42 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.22 Mbps (0.53 MB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 48 ms
Friday, July 27, 2012 5:52:18 AM

Download Speed: 56.54 Mbps (7.07 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.21 Mbps (0.53 MB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 46 ms
Friday, July 27, 2012 5:55:46 AM

Holy crap... never been this fast at home before on the download speeds. Double what I am paying for!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

ARM HQ

Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

bah... good day here at work. Normally the connection barely breaks 0.75 down.... must be a meeting no one is screwing around on the net LOL

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Have you tried http://speedof.me/? Seems like a more accurate test on my end and it doesn't rely on a server side client that may or may not be getting hammered when you run the test.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

My speeds tend to vary from one test to the next, I know last night I had trouble getting more than 10-15Mbps download, but I got this just a few minutes ago. This is wireless from my new DIR850L and a Rosewill RNX-N600UBE USB adapter. My package is Home 30Mbps/4Mbps

I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Major_A wrote:Have you tried http://speedof.me/? Seems like a more accurate test on my end and it doesn't rely on a server side client that may or may not be getting hammered when you run the test.
This is about what "normal" is ](*,) 440Kb/s down, 2.31Mb/s up

And 8 minutes later: 690Kb/s down, 2.51Mb/s up

](*,)

Bonded T1's being ridden like a rented mule. Perfect world should be 3.0Mb/s both ways, but some of one T1 is taken by the phone system leaving 2.5Mb/s for data.... for 60 users.

Been begging for an upgrade to fiber service, which would bump us up to 30Mb up/down.... but they wont. Before I lost my unlimited LTE data plan I would download stuff on my phone, then transfer it to my PC.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Man that has to suck being an IT guy for a company that is so cheap. Hell, Charter business is only about $50 I think for 30mbps down. It must feel like dial-up every time you get on the PC.

Here is one I just ran using SpeedOf.Me

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=130701020150-11751.png

I had to just post the link, for some reason it wouldn't take the image, the post window said "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image".
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

so-so
130709001816-12408.png
130709001816-12408.png (24.18 KiB) Viewed 21908 times
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

So-so? Your upload speeds are almost as fast as my download speeds. Hooray for only 1 ISP in my area!

InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

HOLY SH!T !!! :shock: ...all I did was upgrade to CAT 6 on my cables. Gonna have to check some other servers
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

InspectahACE wrote:HOLY SH!T !!! :shock: ...all I did was upgrade to CAT 6 on my cables. Gonna have to check some other servers
CAT5e/6/6a are only ones rated for GB+ speeds, and they have better noise handling than old CAT5.

CAT6 STP (shielded twisted pair) cable is all I use, stranded for patch cables, and from wall to equipment. Solid for In wall and runs over 50ft.

For the most part 5e will suit most, but I hate running cable. So CAT6 is what I run, and should be for a long while.
-Thomas Jefferson
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

now thats an upgrade if ever i saw one. costing me £10 a month less for 3 times faster download and 9 times better upload. result :supz:
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I officially hate you. :-P My 5Mb/s connection is craptastic.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I FINALLY got the ok from the boss to update the service here at work to dedicated symetrical 20MB/s fiber... May can't get here fast enough.
-Thomas Jefferson
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Didn't like the dimensions of my image either LOL

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=140210125547-30394.png

Down: 10.96
Up: 11.96

From my test machine in the office. Wonder what it'd give first thing in the morning when I'm the only one here...
Spamburger
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Spamburger »

Do I win points?

Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

^^^ LIKE!!! ^^^

I just read in the paper that Charter is supposed to upgrade the St Louis internet market to 100Mbs from 30Mbs for no additional charge, we'll see if that really happens. I know when they upgraded all cable services to digital (thus needing to rent a box even if you were on standard def and only basic tier) and it was supposed to free up bandwidth, but to be honest my cable TV signal has seem degradation instead, sometimes I get pixelation on some channels or audio dropout so their MP4 transcoding leaves something to be desired. It sucks to not have a viable hardline cable TV competitor in St Louis.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Kaos Kid wrote: I just read in the paper that Charter is supposed to upgrade the St Louis internet market to 100Mbs from 30Mbs for no additional charge, we'll see if that really happens.

Cox did that to my line recently. however they rather shifted me on my upload compared to what it was earlier this year.

i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Time Warner finally went all digital in my area.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (21.65 KiB) Viewed 19305 times
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Post by brentsg »

Kaos Kid wrote:^^^ LIKE!!! ^^^

I just read in the paper that Charter is supposed to upgrade the St Louis internet market to 100Mbs from 30Mbs for no additional charge, we'll see if that really happens. I know when they upgraded all cable services to digital (thus needing to rent a box even if you were on standard def and only basic tier) and it was supposed to free up bandwidth, but to be honest my cable TV signal has seem degradation instead, sometimes I get pixelation on some channels or audio dropout so their MP4 transcoding leaves something to be desired. It sucks to not have a viable hardline cable TV competitor in St Louis.
I have Charter Business for my ISP, but it's good to hear that they're doing upgrades. Knock on wood, but I don't have anything to complain about as of late. It's been rock solid for me. I don't know if it's just coincidence, but when I was on their consumer services it was beyond terrible.