Anybody ever been to a LAN center?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
pwnz0riz0r
Legit User
Legit User

Anybody ever been to a LAN center?

Post by pwnz0riz0r »

if so, what all did you like about it and what sucked if it did?

I know the one here in my town blows b/c the comps use XP 1600+'s with 256 pc 2100. So it makes playing Halo as fun as Pitfall for Atari. My mom would even call it "a bit grainy."

conversly, the atmosphere was pretty cool and they had a little grille for hamburgers.

***and btw, off-topic, i gotta say hey to Digital Puppy...its not every day that you see a name you recognize from AvP. ahhh the glory days.
EET anyone?
dzjepp
Legit User
Legit User

Post by dzjepp »

Yes I've been to a couple in my town and I hated the experience. This one is full of little kiddies that scream when they get shot and stuff and all they played was Counter-Strike, they didn't even want to try any other game. And the mouse/keyboard was always dirty and greasy cuz they would eat while playing.

Thankfully I've only been there like 1 time I'm not going back in there.
bellerophon
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bellerophon »

Been to a few and almost started my own. In todays market its much more lucrative to run one from a "babysitting" perspective rather than a teen hangout. Most teens have better systems and decent broadband already. Its a shame though, the interaction is quite fun with the right group of people
Quality
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Quality »

::sigh::

sadly I spent a summer at a LAN center near my work. It is how I got hooked on Counterstrike (2 years after it had been out). But that was a long time ago...before I had broadband. Now there is no need.

There is a certain feeling that comes through hearing the person on the other side of your gun screaming out because they are killed...but it becomes to be way to expensive in the long run. Jump on teamspeak and you can get the same experience.

Bellerophon, where did you try to set up your LAN center? I thought setting one up near a college would have been such a cool idea...what went wrong with your plans? =)~
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

There is a local LAN center here in St. Louis, but their location sucked (hard to get into the entrance off a busy road and hidden from street view) and the kids there were pretty young.

I am a talkative friendly person and during the "grand opening" the owner was too busy to talk to me or introduce himself because he was in a middle of a game. After I gamed for one hour I went to pay him and he was upset that I didn't have exact change. When he finally got up to get my change (after a few mins) he came back only to start yelling about getting killed. Zero respect for a paying customer.

I never went back after that due to my expierences with the owner. That and I have a better PC here in my home with a fast cable connection.

For any local LAN center to be a success it has to have sponsors and host a major LAN party... such as an ACON4 or CPL qualifier...