good long range 5ghz router?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KnightRid

good long range 5ghz router?

Post by KnightRid »

I ma looking to replace my D-Link DIR-655 with maybe the DIR-825, but have been reading that the 5ghz signal is no very strong. With the 2.4ghz signla on the 655 I ended up running a wire up to the back bedroom because the wireless signal was too low and would just drop out. I am having the same problem with the room next to our bedroom with the wireless signal. Now I am talking a distance of MAYBE 50 ft from the router to the room below the bedroom, and then 1 floor up which would be 10 ft max. I thought the 2.4ghz signal would be fine, but I was wrong :(

I REALLY like how D-Link has their stuff set up and would like to stay with them if I can. I will NEVER buy ANYTHING from Netgear! Linksys, maybe...I had some before but the D-Link is just set up a lot nicer it seemed to me.

Any help is always appreciated!

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: good long range 5ghz router?

Post by Darkstar »

Mike, you should be getting better coverage than that, i had an old Dlink G router (504maybe? cant remember) and got the signal over 50 ft away through 4 walls (2 of them Stucco, Wire lath, with lath and plaster interior). i dont remember but maybe there is a setting in there for increasing the signal strength?
If not you might try adding a Yagi antenna or elevating the router. One last thing i can think of is changing the channel its using, but i dont really think that will help unless you are getting interference or dropped signals.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I just got a Linksys WRT320N Wireless N Gigabit Router less than a week ago. It can do 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. I have it in the lower level right next to a lot of other electronics and I have excellent signal strength from anywhere in the house. It's a little pricey since it is gigabit and wireless n, but also gives you the option of 2.4 or 5 GHz. Setup was a breeze for default settings and setting up encryption. Other than that, I can't give you any other thoughts since I've just been using it for about a week.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833124332
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Darkstar wrote:Mike, you should be getting better coverage than that, i had an old Dlink G router (504maybe? cant remember) and got the signal over 50 ft away through 4 walls (2 of them Stucco, Wire lath, with lath and plaster interior). i dont remember but maybe there is a setting in there for increasing the signal strength?
If not you might try adding a Yagi antenna or elevating the router. One last thing i can think of is changing the channel its using, but i dont really think that will help unless you are getting interference or dropped signals.

I KNOW!! lol - I have it sitting on my computer desk about 3 feet off the ground. I might try and stick it up close to the ceiling to see if it helps. I also have a 5.8ghz phone so that cant interfere with it either! I just dont get it.

I will reply again if I have the wires to try and test it up close to the ceiling to see if it makes a difference.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

just curious, do you have at least v1.2 or above firmware on the router? If not you might want to flash it.

Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Darkstar wrote:just curious, do you have at least v1.2 or above firmware on the router? If not you might want to flash it.

Yep, 1.21 - newest available from what I have seen.

Mike
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Just FYI, higher frequency doesn't increase the range. At best, it stays the same.

There's ton of stuff on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum, try changing the channel and/or increasing signal strenght of your router's wireless. It should be somewhere in advanced settings. Otherwise, if you're really looking for something brand new and assuming you have a N network card, you might want to get a router with dual radios so it can do 2.4 and 5 GHz simultaneously.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Zertz wrote:Just FYI, higher frequency doesn't increase the range. At best, it stays the same.

There's ton of stuff on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum, try changing the channel and/or increasing signal strenght of your router's wireless. It should be somewhere in advanced settings. Otherwise, if you're really looking for something brand new and assuming you have a N network card, you might want to get a router with dual radios so it can do 2.4 and 5 GHz simultaneously.
Signal strength is the highest it can go, changed channels 11 times with no difference (that was a pain!) and I dont think they make a straight 5ghz router, they are all 2.4/5ghz with either both being able to be used at once, or only 1 at a time.

I tried everything I could think of, without moving the router, yet, and I just cant get signal strength for crap! REALLY irritating!

Mike
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

try a booster?
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

What are you getting the signal strength from ? A laptop? USB? PCi card?...depending on what you are using might also have something to do with it. If using a USB you can try attaching a cord and elevating the dongle for better reception.
Like i said moving the router can make a big difference, changing the antenna's can sometimes make a bit of a difference too. Also like Martini said a booster would help the signal strength; http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/pro ... ProdID=187
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Darkstar wrote:What are you getting the signal strength from ? A laptop? USB? PCi card?...depending on what you are using might also have something to do with it. If using a USB you can try attaching a cord and elevating the dongle for better reception.
Like i said moving the router can make a big difference, changing the antenna's can sometimes make a bit of a difference too. Also like Martini said a booster would help the signal strength; http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/pro ... ProdID=187
i have tried the laptop, a usb n, a PCi n, oh and the wifes laptop also - and nothing gets signal for **** upstairs.

i just hate to buy a booster whne these dang routers should EASILY have enough for me to get a signal upstairs!

I am still thinking it might be because the kitchen is right next to the computer room and the bathroom is above the 2nd half of the kitchen, so all the pipes and stuff are interfering with the signal. Weird thing is, I tried to hook up another router and even an access point in the living room, which is right below the bedroom, and I still couldnt get much of a signal.

ARGH

Mike