*POLL* GT300 or 5870?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

Based on what you know which do you think will be the stronger architecture?

Nvidia GT300
10
48%
ATI 5870
11
52%
 
Total votes: 21

User avatar
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas!
Contact:

*POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby HONkUS » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:05 am

They are both coming out soon, which do you think will take the performance crown?

info:

GT300
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/26/nvidias-gt300-specs-outed-is-this-the-cgpu-weve-been-waitin/
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,9303.html
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/4/22/nvidias-gt300-specifications-revealed---its-a-cgpu!.aspx

5870
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/4/24/ati-radeon-5870-and-5870x2-specs-revealed.aspx
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1069/1/
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090914PD203.html

Im placing my bet on Nvidia, every time they come out with a truly new architecture it destroys everything out there. I do not see any reason why GT300 will be any different. At its heart a GTX295 is still based on the ideas established with the 8800. GT300 is a game changer for better or for worse it could be a Geforce 5800 or it could be the biggest thing since the 256 but Nvidia has historically been very successful with new architectures.

User avatar
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 33859
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Contact:

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby Apoptosis » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:11 am

I must say this poll is pretty silly...

Windows 7 isn't out yet....
Not one DirectX 11 title is out...
The cards aren't out yet...
You are looking at rumor/BS sites for valid information...

The question you should ask yourself is... Do you want a Radeon HD 5870 this month or do you want to buy a GT300 in March/April as rumors are saying NVIDIA is delayed that long!?!?

Rumor on the street is also that NVIDIA spent too much time worrying about compute power due to Intel's upcoming GPU and the gaming performance is the suck...
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!

User avatar
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas!
Contact:

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby HONkUS » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:52 am

I see your point about Windows 7, and Direct X (Although I hope DX11 catches on faster than DX10)

I did not intend to make this out to be anything other than an opinion poll. Yes, the cards aren't out yet and as such ANY information anyone is able to find is going to be rumor but I think we can all agree that new graphics architectures are kinda a big deal. They may be "BS/rumor" sites but there is usually a grain of truth in rumors. So in case it wasn't clear before this is an opinion poll, we all read things on the internet so lets hear some opinions, this is a forum after all!

Oh and Nate did you not notice one of my "BS/Rumor" sources was your article on Eyefinity? :)

User avatar
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 33859
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Contact:

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby Apoptosis » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:59 am

yeah... The reason I call it BS is because the GT300 silicon isn't even done from what I last heard.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!

User avatar
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby InspectahACE » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:56 am

as far as I've read, the gt300 taped out not too long ago(like July i think)..but not a damn thing has come up as far as info on performance or even release date..DX11 would be nice, but like DX10 i don't think it will catch fire anytime soon. Personally, unless i see a very very nice performance increase from either company, I could care less on who has DX11 or not. ATI has got something going..but as far as who's actually gonna utilize it(i would love 6 screens at once, but I know I have no use, money or the room for it).. im holding my breath on Nvidia tho as much as I'd hate to doubt them..

more rumors
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13154/gt3 ... on_hd5870/

a sad one here

http://www.techspot.com/news/36223-nvid ... gt300.html
i7 3930K @ 3.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Asus GTX TITAN SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-1866 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force GT 90 GB SSD | 2x Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD | 450GB VelociRaptor | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i PSU | Logitech G502 | Logitech G810| CM HAF-932 Black Edition | BenQ Zowie XL2730 27" monitor | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

User avatar
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 33859
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Contact:

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby Apoptosis » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:23 pm

InspectahACE wrote:as far as I've read, the gt300 taped out not too long ago(like July i think)..but not a damn thing has come up as far as info on performance or even release date..DX11 would be nice, but like DX10 i don't think it will catch fire anytime soon. Personally, unless i see a very very nice performance increase from either company, I could care less on who has DX11 or not. ATI has got something going..but as far as who's actually gonna utilize it(i would love 6 screens at once, but I know I have no use, money or the room for it).. im holding my breath on Nvidia tho as much as I'd hate to doubt them..

more rumors
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13154/gt3 ... on_hd5870/

a sad one here

http://www.techspot.com/news/36223-nvid ... gt300.html


Yeah it got taped out this summer and had to be tweaked and retaped again from what the online rumors say. That is why it isn't coming till 2010 if you want to follow the rumor mill.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!

User avatar
skier
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4450
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby skier » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:28 pm

well DiRT2 is based on DX11, and it's supposed to be released Dec 1st, but the original DiRT was based on DX10 itself, so Codemasters is just that epic technology-wise
-Austin
Image
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups

User avatar
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1358
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:38 pm

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby kappage » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:41 am

i just prefer Ati Death to Nvidia
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real

Mikhail357
Legit User
Legit User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:33 am

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby Mikhail357 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:00 am

I've always been a Nvidia fan, but I think I may cross over to the Dark Side...if there is one...lol

User avatar
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:39 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby slugbug » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:52 am

I read that the GT300 will not support DX11. Not sure how much this will affect sales.

User avatar
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby InspectahACE » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:23 pm

slugbug wrote:I read that the GT300 will not support DX11. Not sure how much this will affect sales.



Where's the link?...Shouldn't affect sales as they are going DX11 from everything I've read.
i7 3930K @ 3.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Asus GTX TITAN SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-1866 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force GT 90 GB SSD | 2x Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD | 450GB VelociRaptor | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i PSU | Logitech G502 | Logitech G810| CM HAF-932 Black Edition | BenQ Zowie XL2730 27" monitor | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

JMMD
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby JMMD » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:40 pm

I've been using Nvidia cards from the beginning. Maybe I should give AMD/ATI a try but I voted GT300.

User avatar
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:35 am

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby werty316 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:48 pm

A little trigger happy are we since you can't really vote for either side since the GT300 isn't even out.

We still have ways to go before the GT300 sees the day of light.

As for the GT300 not being DX11 compatible, I believe it when I see it and unless I am mistaken, I think slugbug might be referring to this article where nVidia said that buying a DX11 video card isn't a reason to buy a new video card. If nVidia said this because they aren't making the GT300 DX11 compatible, then they are just being a bunch babies since they won't have a DX11 card let alone be the first to release one.

And Nate's article about Eyefinity was not BS or a bunch of rumors; nice try but try again.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

User avatar
geokilla
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby geokilla » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Hmm, since the 5870 is out already and the GT300 isn't, I'm just going to put in my opinion.

In my opinion, I say that the 5870 already took performance crown, but only because it's out earlier than the GT300. On a bang for buck basis, I believe NVIDIA will adjust their pricing so they can stay competitive against ATI. Once the GT300 launches, ATI should be able to fight back with minor price cuts just to give their products a better bang for buck ratio.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!

User avatar
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby InspectahACE » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:22 am

i7 3930K @ 3.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Asus GTX TITAN SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-1866 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force GT 90 GB SSD | 2x Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD | 450GB VelociRaptor | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i PSU | Logitech G502 | Logitech G810| CM HAF-932 Black Edition | BenQ Zowie XL2730 27" monitor | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

TheGanG
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:34 am

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby TheGanG » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:32 am

:prayer: GT300
Image Image

DFI LP DK P45 T2RS PLUS-E8400-4GB CellShock 1000MHz-SilverStone Strider 750W
GA EP45T UD3P-E8600-4GB Kingston Hyperx 1800MHz-EVGA 9800GX2SC-SilverStone Strider 1000W-T260HD

User avatar
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:16 am
Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Contact:

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby Skippman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 am

geokilla wrote:Hmm, since the 5870 is out already and the GT300 isn't, I'm just going to put in my opinion.

In my opinion, I say that the 5870 already took performance crown, but only because it's out earlier than the GT300. On a bang for buck basis, I believe NVIDIA will adjust their pricing so they can stay competitive against ATI. Once the GT300 launches, ATI should be able to fight back with minor price cuts just to give their products a better bang for buck ratio.


Geo hit the nail on the head. At this point the discussions moot. ATI's won. Just like the PS3 vs X-Box 360 argument. Everyone was talking about how bad ass the PS3 was going to be. It had BluRay (like nVidia has Cudda), etc, etc. But in this generation of the console wars the 360 clearly beat the bejesus out of Sony. I see this generation of cars ATI finally beating the bejesus out of nVivia. They're first to market and that ain't nothing.

I can see it becoming a game of "I want more power now, and I can always add another ATI later for Crossfire" vs. "I'm willing to wait". This is computers folks, and people who are into computers are notoriously impatient. The nVidia card might be a touch faster but I doubt it. This time it looks like ATi beat nVidia at their own game and just tweaked existing technology rather than redesigned from scratch.

I'll take hard data and facts over rumor and speculation any day of the week which, at this point, is all the GT300 is.

User avatar
eunoia
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby eunoia » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:46 am

Since it's all speculative, I'll say GT3xx, but like others mentioned, if it comes out next spring and is $200 more than the 5870 is by then, I won't be lining up to get one.
No one would talk much in society, if he knew how often he misunderstands others. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832)

User avatar
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby lordvic » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Skippman wrote:
geokilla wrote:Hmm, since the 5870 is out already and the GT300 isn't, I'm just going to put in my opinion.

In my opinion, I say that the 5870 already took performance crown, but only because it's out earlier than the GT300. On a bang for buck basis, I believe NVIDIA will adjust their pricing so they can stay competitive against ATI. Once the GT300 launches, ATI should be able to fight back with minor price cuts just to give their products a better bang for buck ratio.


Geo hit the nail on the head. At this point the discussions moot. ATI's won. Just like the PS3 vs X-Box 360 argument. Everyone was talking about how bad ass the PS3 was going to be. It had BluRay (like nVidia has Cudda), etc, etc. But in this generation of the console wars the 360 clearly beat the bejesus out of Sony. I see this generation of cars ATI finally beating the bejesus out of nVivia. They're first to market and that ain't nothing.

I can see it becoming a game of "I want more power now, and I can always add another ATI later for Crossfire" vs. "I'm willing to wait". This is computers folks, and people who are into computers are notoriously impatient. The nVidia card might be a touch faster but I doubt it. This time it looks like ATi beat nVidia at their own game and just tweaked existing technology rather than redesigned from scratch.

I'll take hard data and facts over rumor and speculation any day of the week which, at this point, is all the GT300 is.


You are so right. Two thumbs up...wait...4 thumbs up for you :)
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit

shaolin95
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: *POLL* GT300 or 5870?

Postby shaolin95 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:52 am

GT300 for course because 3D Vision rocks!
My last gaming ATI card was the rare Radeon 64 SE...I gave up on ATI because they never supported 3D gaming like Nvidia did (at least for a while until they too stopped and now got back to it).
It sucks that I prefer AMD so my Mobo is crossfire....I hate non standards! lol
*CPU: i7 920 DO @ 4.1Ghz 1.35v HT On
*CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
*Mobo: Evga X58 SLI / RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 1600 7-7-7-21 1.5v
*Video Cards:eVGA GTX660ti & Gigabyte GTX660ti
*Sound Card: X-Fi Prelude
*PSU: Corsair HX1000W
*Display: Mitusbishi 60" DLP (3D Vision Glory) 3D Glasses!!!
*Case: CoolerMaster HAF X (932 panel) *W7 64Bit Samsung 840 256GB
*Others: Roccat Kone XTD | Roccat Alumic | Logitech G15 |
*Mobile: Galaxy Note 2


Return to “General Computer Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests