Computer issue

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
AStone39
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Computer issue

Post by AStone39 »

Hello, I do not know anything about computers, however I am home alone and am hoping this is not a serious issue and possibly something I can fix before my boyfriend gets home.

I was on one computer just now on the internet while the other computer was copying data to a CD, all of a sudden I saw what looked like an orange flash of light coming from the computer copying data, heard a popping noise and then it shut off and the power supply started to ring. It also shut of my wireless internet I had up on the other computer and a laptop. Once i realized it was the power supply ringing, I held the power button until it went off and then when it stopped ringing I turned it back on and after only a couple of seconds i heard another pop and then it shut back off and shut off the other computer that was still on. Does anyone know what could cause this? Also earlier the computer that let of the spark was making a strange noise that sounded similar to something rattling around inside a fan...
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Computer issue

Post by Sowser »

Welcome to the forum but bummer about the reason you're here. Sorry, it's a serious issue. It sounds like your power supply blew up. If you're lucky it was just the power supply, if you're not then it took several other things with it. We can help you fix it but if you don't know anything about computers you might want to have a professional look at it. If you want to tackle it yourself then post here again and we'll walk you through it. If you haven't already you should unplug the computer from the wall and don't try to start it up again! As for the second computer I'm guessing that both computers are plugged into the same place and the power strip tripped when you attempted to restart the first computer.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

Hi and welcome to the forums. As Sower has said yes it is the power supply. Afraid you wont be able to fix it before you boyfriernd gets home, sorry. I would recommend you get someone that you know that is good with computers and see if they agree with what we have said. If so, then a new power supply will be needed and then you can test if anything else in your computer has been affected by the power supply blow!

Keep us informed!
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

probably a lose peice of metal was rattling around inside the PSU and caused it to short
either that or the transformer in the PSU went
either way youll need a new PSU
BTW: if it involves sparks and a computer, its always a serious issue ;)