How to connecting a PS2 & Xbox to a PC Monitor?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

How to connecting a PS2 & Xbox to a PC Monitor?

Post by Razorbacx »

My kids have the following:

PS2
Xbox
22" HD LCD PC Monitor with an HDMI, DVi, VGA & Component Video inputs
PC speakers

Both the PS2 and XBox have the standard RCA connections; however, we do have a component cable for the PS2. We want to replace the old crappy 20" analog TV that is eating up space on my son's desk with the PC Monitor, but I cannot figure out what I need to be able to use it with both the PS2 and XBox. Any suggestions? How about audio as well?

Thanks,

Razorbacx
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: How to connecting a PS2 & Xbox to a PC Monitor?

Post by DaddyRabbit »

You could use the component cable for the PS2 and get the DVI or VGA cable for the XBox

You'll also need speakers. An audio switch box is pretty cheap
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

DaddyRabbit wrote:You could use the component cable for the PS2 and get the VGA cale for the XBox
The PC Monitor only haves one set of Component inputs as well as one set of VGA, DVi and HDMi inputs. I get video by connecting the PS2 using the component cables, but there's no way for me to get audio with that setup as the monitor does not have an audio in/out. Additional research says that I need an AB switch box that has RCA/Component inputs as well as a VGA output and this needs to be an inexpensive solution at that, but I am unable to find one as of yet that does what I need it to do...and what about the audio? I still can't figure out how to get that even if I do get the video working. Thoughts?

Thanks
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Razorbacx wrote:
DaddyRabbit wrote:You could use the component cable for the PS2 and get the VGA cale for the XBox
The PC Monitor only haves one set of Component inputs as well as one set of VGA, DVi and HDMi inputs. I get video by connecting the PS2 using the component cables, but there's no way for me to get audio with that setup as the monitor does not have an audio in/out. Additional research says that I need an AB switch box that has RCA/Component inputs as well as a VGA output and this needs to be an inexpensive solution at that, but I am unable to find one as of yet that does what I need it to do...and what about the audio? I still can't figure out how to get that even if I do get the video working. Thoughts?

Thanks
Purchase a set of powered stero PC speakers.

Purchase a cheap audio/video switch (you don't need the video)

Hook the audio outs of the XBox and PS2 to the switch and the out of the switch to the speakers.

Hook the PS2 composite to the monitors composite inputs

Hook the VGA or DVI out of the XBox to the monitors VGA/DVI ports.

When playing select the appropriate video input on the monitor and the appropriate audio source on the A/V switch.

Voila!

Note that you may need some adapters to connect the audio, cheap and the Shack has tons.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit