DUMB question

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

DUMB question

Post by grunt »

When installing your case fans, antecs 80mm for instance.. Which way is better? Like is the side with the emblem supposed to go inward?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

if you look on the side of the fan there is generaly a air flow indicator. The fan logo is on the side that air is blowing from. so if you want air bloing into the case you point the fan logo in.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
bigapl
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by bigapl »

Correct and you would generally want front blowing in and rear out!
az3rch
Legit User
Legit User

Post by az3rch »

To add a bit more to your thread...

You want to have good airflow through the case. So if you have 2 fans intake you will need to have at least 1 or 2 fans for exhaust. If you can, put fans on the side of the case, that seems to provide better airflow than a fan or 2 on the front.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Generaly people recomend that you have more air going into a case than going out. this keeps there from being areas of low pressure that build up dust and hot air. But as a moder and overclocker i recomend that you test to see what keeps your case cooler.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

! rule everyone seemed to forget...............hot air rises..............intake low and in front or side where there is alot of fresh air, exhaust up high, top and rear, where the air is hotter os stale.....no movement............ :shock:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Bio is right, I removed my fan I had mounted in the top for my WC kit, luckily I have an Enermax PSU with a fan built into the bottom so it sucks in hot air that rises and blows it out the back. After removing the fan for my WC kit, I noticed alot warmer air blowing through the PSU.
The fans you use in your case make a difference too. i replaced all my case fans with Panaflos, they are quieter and move much more air