Opinions: HP DeskJet 1000

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Opinions: HP DeskJet 1000

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Have any of you guys personally or have you known of anyone who has used the DeskJet 1000 inkjet printer from HP? I am looking for a plain-jane inkjet to print labels and postage on envelopes since my OfficeJet 6100 refuses to print envelopes for some unknown reason.

I had a Canon iP1700 that I bought a few years back but it simply would not feed paper despite spending a couple of hours cleaning the pee-dog-pooey out of it. I don't want to break the bank and the HP is <$30. Most of the reviews I've read have been favorable and, as I said, it is only for black ink printing text/postage & labels.

Thanks!
J
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Opinions: HP DeskJet 1000

Post by bubba »

What kind of label count per day are we talking?

If you want to save a ton of space and are printing just labels, look for an off lease Zebra LP2844. Usually can find them in the 80ish range. Have one at work and run 100+ 4" labels a day off it. Run strong for over 10 years.

In the long run the ink jet will cost a pile of $ in ink.

Even if you don't like the price of the zebra, there are some deals on newegg for label printers

Side note. I have a special level of hate for HP desk printers and their software, love the business class work horse stuff, hate the home stuff with a passion.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Neptune24
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Neptune24 »

I will also add that HPs are great when they are working, but when they breakdown, are an absolute nightmare to get working again. (kinda like canons)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD PhenomII X4 965 Processor, 3.4GHz(Stock)
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti Memory: 1024 MB
GPU Driver:
Direct X 11
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I ship quite a few USPS Priority Mail packages to my mom in Mississippi and to my brother in Texas. It's actually cheaper (and faster) to print the 8.5" x 5.5" labels from the USPS web site. I'm also going back to Stamps.com because it seems that I go and buy stamps and when I need them, they're mysteriously all gone, no matter where I hide them.

It's not like I print dozens of labels or envelopes a day but I hate going to the PO for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is those interminable lines to postal employees who look as though they would prefer to be in a prison camp have their toenails pulled out than waiting on customers. And there's those disappearing (and expensive) stamps! Maybe I'm just lazy?

I'll check out the Zebra although that's a bit more than I was looking to spend for my needs. I never was crazy about the paper feed on that Canon. I just plain don't understand why an "Office-" Jet would jam when printing envelopes. Other than that, I've been pretty happy with it for the past 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for the advice!!
J
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

If you're only doing a couple a day/week then the desk printer will be better in the long run. Look for ones that load from the back and pull down to the low front. Not suck in from the bottom and roll out the middle like most HPs do.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I have a Dell 2130cn color laser and use it to print USPS,fedex,ups labels on it. One warning - make sure you get labels made for lasers! You will have one hell of a mess if you dont.

I buy labels at onlinelabels dot com. I use the full sheet for printing them since you can fit 2 per page or 1 plus the tracking info. Every time i try and use custom cut labels that are supposed to work perfect, they never do, so I suggest sticking with the full sheet label also.

As for envelopes, I have no clue since I just hand write or use supplied enveloped with stamps (mine usually dont disappear unless the kid mails stuff). Also, every time i tried to print envelopes on printers, they usually jammed or screwed up at some point.

Same as the above warning, make sure you have envelopes rated for a laser printer or you may get some unintended consequences from the amount of heat a laser puts out when it meats the glue on the envelope.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

I have to agree with Knight, get a cheap laser. The amount you will save in ink vs toner will cover the cost of the printer, especially if you go through periods without using it. Ink cartridges will 'dry out' no matter what the manufacturer says, its usually the ink in the print head that dries out causing ink to not flow.

Staples has a special on a samsung laser (granted only with a 'starter' or half full toner) for $50 right now. The starter toner is rated for 750 pages though I think samsung rate's for 15% coverage of an 8.5x11" paper so for labels you should be fine for a bit.

http://www.staples.com/Samsung-ML-2165W ... uct_420823

If you spend a bit more ($80) they also have a xerox model that toner I think may be cheaper per page (and cheaper per cartridge, though less pages per).