Intel Q35 Compatibility

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
FireFox
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Intel Q35 Compatibility

Post by FireFox »

I know its not a new technology but I'm getting a Dell OptiPlex 755 SFF in about 2 weeks which has an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 and I would ultimately like to stick in an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400.

I've been told its not worth it but that doesn't really bother me.

Thanks in advance
'' I'm a heavy smoker. I go through two lighters a day. '' - Bill Hicks
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel Q35 Compatibility

Post by Major_A »

Believe it or not the C2Q is still a decent processor. If you can find the CPU for cheap then I say go with it. But, isn't there always one of those?

1) Check for an updated BIOS for the Dell before you put in the new CPU.
2) Dell uses the bare minimum to keep the CPU cool. Keep an eye on your temps if you drop in a new CPU.
Programs you can use: HWiNFO, AIDA64 (not free), Open Hardware Monitor, Speedfan, HWMonitor, etc...
3) According to the generic listing on Dell that PC comes with a 220W power supply. This might be fine for a dual core CPU but the quad core is going to pull more juice. So you may have upgrade the PSU too.

Another alternative is to go the AMD Phenom II X4 route. The Phenom II X4 is still a better performing CPU than the Bulldozer line and they can be had for pretty cheap.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

This may help shed some light. Not sure it will be worth it in my opinion

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/pr ... hspecs.pdf

This thread on Dell shows a few more but not the cpu you're looking at getting

http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... 12475.aspx

Their power supplies are proprietary alot of the time too, especially on their small form factor cases. You may not be able to upgrade much on a power supply on that model.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
John P. Myers
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by John P. Myers »

The issue you might run into is lithography compatibility. With a chipset that old, Dell may not have issued a BIOS update to support 45nm CPUs, which the CPU you want to upgrade to is. You're currently running 65nm.

Being that the quad you want is 45nm, power requirements are more than likely equal to or a tad less than the CPU you have now, so that's not a concern. Make 100% certain Dell's most recent BIOS update for that board supports 45nm CPUs.