Two Budget Choices, Help Me Decide!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Two Budget Choices, Help Me Decide!

Post by Kaos Kid »

I see for the next few days there is a great sale on 2 routers that I've had my eye on. Both are Dual-Band N Wireless, one is a Belkin and one is a Rosewill. They both have limited but glowing reviews (could be shills). Both have USB for printer or external storage. The Belkin has internal antennae while the Rosewill has two external antennae. Two of my USB adapters I have currently are Rosewill Ns so I'm thinking in theory they should have a better chance of compatibility/performance. The Belkin was originally listed higher in price and due to instant savings as well as a promo code it is within $5 of the Rosewill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833166081

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833314082

I've got to make a decision soon, so if the specs are similar, would YOU choose a Rosewill, or a Belkin?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Two Budget Choices, Help Me Decide!

Post by Apoptosis »

Belkin is sold out, so it looks like you have an easy choice!

Try out the Rosewill!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Thanks! But just for the sake of knowing, which would you have chosen had you been in a lower price range?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Rosewill because it has the external antennas and usually those have better range.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Just ordered the Rosewill along with an RNX-N600UBE USB 2.0 Wireless Dual Band Adapter on a combo deal for $39.98! Router was already $15 off and then the adapter was normally $19.99 but the combo deal knocked $15 off that so the adapter was only $5 net additional!!! Got lucky with this, didn't really need an adapter but how can you turn it down for only $5 more? Plus should be totally compatible since they are both same generation dual band Rosewill products. Did the search through your Think Link, added to cart and checked out with PP so LR should make its $.20, Oh Boy! :lol: edit: looks like they didn't even give you that! That sux :evil:

I've got a lot of larnin' to do, with dual band and setting up two separate networks, one for the N adapters and one for the G adapters. I also like being able to do guest accounts. It will be nice to get my full bandwidth upstairs, I had been getting 18-20Mbps downloads on my G Wireless network upstairs, the new N router and N adapter should get me closer to my wired speeds of 30Mbps =P~
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Good that you avoided the Belkins. :lol: They usually rebadge stuff and claim it to be superior to the rebadged items and charge a lot more :rolleyes:
I had attended a "training" on belkins marketing department and the marketing blurb they do is just through the roof
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

The Belkin finally got back in stock the other day but was at full price again, and I had already ordered the Rosewill anyway. I got the router and adapter in the other day but haven't had a chance to set up the router network yet, I have to wait until Monday when my kids are at school and not wanting to get on the net. I did set up the adapter on the computer I am using now, it doesn't seem to be any better than the Rosewill RNX-N2LX that I was using, but this adapter is listed as dual 2.4/5Ghz band so hopefully that is where it will shine once I get the new router set up. I like the GUI on the N2LX better, the new one will take a little getting used to.