ASRock can kiss MY asrock

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KnightRid

ASRock can kiss MY asrock

Post by KnightRid »

This has been a ridiculous experience through Newegg and ASRock and I wanted to share with people just in case you are questioning what manufacturer to buy a motherboard from.

This whole wonderful ordeal started when I ordered the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157293 on 11-23-2012. I thought the price was good and figured the reviews I was reading about problems were from people who didnt know what they were talking about. I was wrong.

First part is my fault but I doubt it would have changed anything through the process from a company who thinks they never have problems but, I did not physically examine the motherboard cpu pins before placing the cpu in the socket. BIG MISTAKE. Hooked everything up, code 55 flashed on the board. Tried other memory since code 55 is a memory issue, never helped. Looked online and all of a sudden a whole world opened up where a LOT of people were having this issue with this board and it turns out there were bent cpu socket pins. Here is one such link - http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... p?t=170736 - and in that the best quote that sums up what I have found is this from user OneMoar - "inspect the socket for bent pins asrock seems to have a issue with there memory slots not working due to bad sockets ". I have found this at multiple places and is easily found by searching for "z77 extreme4 code 55". OK, no problem, lets get a hold of Newegg...talk talk talk...RMA Approved 12-11-2012. Now I told them the issue was bent pins, I told them I did not bend the pins (seriously, how could you bend the pins installing a core i7 gen 3 when the contacts on the bottom of the cpu would have been scratched to hell) but the RMA was approved and I thought my story had a happy ending. In the meantime I had to buy another motherboard to build my system so I figured Newegg would just give me credit or I would have an extra MB laying around.

12-19-2012 - RMA received at Newegg per email

12-21-2012 - RMA: Damaged - huh, what...let me read this...
Thank you for requesting a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) at Newegg.com.

Your RMA (RMA Number: my number) return was received and sent to our Inspections Department for closer examination.

Unfortunately, the below item# 13-157-293 MB ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 4Z77 1155 was physically damaged and beyond the applicable Newegg.com warranty coverage as indicated in our Standard Warranty Policy. We received the motherboard with several severley bent pins in the cpu socket which were beyond repair. The damage possibly occurred from improper installation.

For further assistance, we recommend contacting the manufacturer directly to see if they can offer repair or replacement of the item(s) under manufacturer warranty. Please use the following link to find the contact info for any manufacturer whose items we carry: Contact Manufacturer.

We greatly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thank you for your patience and understanding. The item(s) are currently being shipped back to you and should arrive in approximately 5 - 10 business days.

If you have any questions, please visit our Contact Us Page.

Sincerely,

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team
Oh ok, so the person who talked to me on the phone, approved the RMA and issued the refund after I specifically told them the pins were bent figured it would be fun to waste a bunch of time shipping it back and forth across the country? I would understand if I would have lied to them but i told them they were bent and they had to be bent from factory.

I was pissed and left a 1 egg review on newegg for the board in which ASRock said to call or email someone to get it resolved.

Well that's ok I will get a hold of ASRock and get this thing solved. Christmas day I get an invoice from Newegg that they sen the MB back to me. Things got hectic around here and I did not have a chance to email ASRock until yesterday..

My email to them including a link on Box to pictures I took.
I was told to call or email and this is the first chance I have had. Been busy building systems already this year.

This was ordered 11-23-2012 and till I got it and had the system built (personal use so it got put on the back burner) it was already close to 30 days, then the time it took newegg to get it back, refuse replacement and then resend it back to me....this has taken WAY longer than it should have already.

I wrote the review on Newegg about the bent pins and Newegg would not replace it so someone from your company wrote a reply and asked me to call or email, so here I am.

I have pictures I took with my DSLR on my Box.net account that you should be able to see here - https://www.box.com/s/fpkvx2z5l80bcfgibzpu - to help determine if it will be replaced or not. No use shipping back and forth (again) across the country if you are not going to replace the board.

Any questions please call...
Their email reply...
Dear customer,

Thanks for contacting ASRock America.

Please understand that open-box product / bent pins is not including in manufacturer warranty. Please contact Newegg to get further assistance if you need return or replacement. If you prefer to do RMA with us, ASRock will charge $50 labor & service fee (Non-US customers need to indicate the check or money order will be paid in U.S dollar.) and provide 3 months warranty for the replaced motherboard. We only accept check or money order.

If you decide RMA your motherboard with us, Please complete the attached RMA request form, and then e-mail it back to obtain RMA number and shipping instruction. Any packages received without an RMA number outside of the package or valid RMA number will be rejected and returned by your own expense.

**Please provide ALL of the information requested below**
RMA request form

-You must complete all required fields, or you might be delayed to obtain your RMA #.

Now they tell me to call Newegg even though if they would have actually read the email I sent them it states I already had been in contect with Newegg and they told me to call them along with one of their reps telling me to email or call on the Newegg review itself.

Ok, I called voice...

Constant repeating of the fact that bent pins are not covered. I told them this is an issue that has been reported all over the net but they just dont seem to care. Got transferred to another support person who was explaining the exact same thing and when I told her I sent a link to pictures in the email, she said she would look at some. She must have because I have some views on a few pics. I am on hold. Phone picks up and is hung up. Yea, I was hung up on. Now they have my email with my name, address and phone number in it so I figured it was a mistake. I must have been wrong because I waited until now to write this because I did not want to include massive amounts of profanity and to give them time to actually show concern and call me back.

Customer Support means admitting when you have a problem and fixing it, not denying there is one and you are greater than any other company on the planet so we don't have to deal with you. ASRock has proven to me that they think the customer's they supply are morons who do not know how to use a product properly, especially when reports are listed all over the net about the EXACT SAME THING but they don't care.

Maybe it's my fault for thinking a cheaper product could have the same construction and integrity behind it.

I know I am very happy with all my Gigabyte boards I have bought personally and used in numerous builds over the years and I should have never strayed.

so a big :finga: to ASRock for thinking the customer is wrong and not standing behind their product.

Mike

Anyone can send this to anyone they wish, post it on a site, etc....I just think the word should be spread about how a company handles problems. [-X

The box.net account is a free one so they limit the bandwidth per month so too many views may make them unavailable till next month.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: ASRock can kiss MY asrock

Post by egloeckle »

Well on a positive note, thank you for reminding me why I stick with Gigabyte almost religiously (Ill stray to ASUS from time to time if they have a board I really want).

Sucks they are trying to give you the shaft, maybe someone around these parts has a contact as ASRock that can help out?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I e-mailed some folks I know as ASRock HQ in Taiwan for him... We shall see if they respond to this or me.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:I e-mailed some folks I know as ASRock HQ in Taiwan for him... We shall see if they respond to this or me.
Thanx Nate. Just pisses me off that a TON of other people are having the exact same problem and ASRock won't admit anything. Every time you read something that someone contacted them they just revert to the "Our products are all tested and there can't be a problem from our end" If that is true, then I guess every person having problems is a complete moron and bent their own pins even though the socket cover doesnt come off till you are ready for the HSF and is only raised to put the cpu in, so the cpu had to do it and therefore scratch the cpu contacts..

Yea, I am still pissed. lol
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I have used ASRock boards for years, hell have the board you have/had as well as 2 of its mATX sibling. Flawless 24/7 usage.

Now, aside from my experience with ASRock, what you have gone through sucks for sure.

I have had issues with Newegg in the past on RMA for damaged stuff. I buy parts to keep on the shelf for "oh sh*t" moments at work. Took one time with a DOA Asus board they (Newegg) wouldn't replace and I had to jump hoops with Asus to get fixed.

Now when I order parts, especially hard drives due to the fail rate of the things anymore, I check all parts. Last 20 or so hard drives I have ordered 8 had errors out of the gate or didn't work at all. I lean to blaming UPS for the way the boxes are handled. I guessing Newegg is trying to improve drive protection, the way they are pack has changed a lot over the last year.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Did you buy the motherboard new from newegg or buy a open box return from newegg? A little hard to understand from the replies. I lean to asus for motherboards.
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

To me, Asrock in reality is ASUS themselves. Just a more mainstream branding
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

vbironchef wrote:Did you buy the motherboard new from newegg or buy a open box return from newegg? A little hard to understand from the replies. I lean to asus for motherboards.
New, I never buy open box stuff because the price difference is so small it isnt worth the risk.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote:I have used ASRock boards for years, hell have the board you have/had as well as 2 of its mATX sibling. Flawless 24/7 usage.

Now, aside from my experience with ASRock, what you have gone through sucks for sure.

I have had issues with Newegg in the past on RMA for damaged stuff. I buy parts to keep on the shelf for "oh sh*t" moments at work. Took one time with a DOA Asus board they (Newegg) wouldn't replace and I had to jump hoops with Asus to get fixed.

Now when I order parts, especially hard drives due to the fail rate of the things anymore, I check all parts. Last 20 or so hard drives I have ordered 8 had errors out of the gate or didn't work at all. I lean to blaming UPS for the way the boxes are handled. I guessing Newegg is trying to improve drive protection, the way they are pack has changed a lot over the last year.
I just ordered 5 of the WD 3TB RED drives and they were packed in a styrofoam carrier along with packing peanuts. A lot better than throwing stuff in a box and filling it with that crappy paper stuff.

Jumping through the hoops is what is ridiculous. There should be no need for a company to blame everything on the consumer. How much would it really have cost them to take this board back and replace it with a new one, then turn around and fix this one (that they damaged in the first place...GRRRRR) and sell it again? Just horrible customer service. We are not in China, Taiwan, Japan, etc where people can be treated like **** and they cant do anything about it.

I just hope people really read this and think hard on their next purchase.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

INeedAFnSuffix wrote:To me, Asrock in reality is ASUS themselves. Just a more mainstream branding
Sad thing is, I never had problems with ASUS at all. Maybe if ASUS does buy ASRock (really how stupid is this...think about it..look up how ASRock got started...) maybe they will change things for the better but I am not holding my breath. Gigabyte is still here so life will go on ;)
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Yep. For us the gigabyte boards are slightly more expensive than ASUS or ASRock or even MSI for the same feature set but! gigabyte is more expensive because they include the cost of shipping back if anything happens to the board generally, the others don't, if let's say your board does have a problem twice you would have to incur a huge shipping cost compared to if you buy a Gigabyte

I just found out at the local shops the other day
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Yes, ASRock you still suck. :finga:

Keep getting re-pissed off whenever I look at the MB box sitting here.

I should do a video comprising of hanging this MB up and shooting it with various bullets to show the real use of ASRock products :-k
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

I've used 1 or 2 AsRock motherboards in a couple of my friends' systems; never had any serious problems with them. Unfortunate to see what you are experiencing.
Anyways, have you got word from AsRock yet, after Nate's e-mail to AsRock??

I have to agree though - a litle disappointed with AsRock about your situation. IMO with these companies, when something goes wrong, it's going to be a long process...

For an example, I had to deal with Corsair back in November. I sent in my MIR (for my K60) with all the required paperwork and materials and everything was checked over several times before before handing it to the post office. Anyways, I get a reply saying the UPC code was missing and my rebate was rejected. Well, I have made photocopies of all the items sent, photgraphs of the product and the retail packaging, all documents received in the shipping, etc etc. In the end, my rebate was approved...after haggling with Corsair for nearly a month...because maybe the person who opened my letter screwed up.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

lordvic wrote:I've used 1 or 2 AsRock motherboards in a couple of my friends' systems; never had any serious problems with them. Unfortunate to see what you are experiencing.
Anyways, have you got word from AsRock yet, after Nate's e-mail to AsRock??

I have to agree though - a litle disappointed with AsRock about your situation. IMO with these companies, when something goes wrong, it's going to be a long process...

For an example, I had to deal with Corsair back in November. I sent in my MIR (for my K60) with all the required paperwork and materials and everything was checked over several times before before handing it to the post office. Anyways, I get a reply saying the UPC code was missing and my rebate was rejected. Well, I have made photocopies of all the items sent, photgraphs of the product and the retail packaging, all documents received in the shipping, etc etc. In the end, my rebate was approved...after haggling with Corsair for nearly a month...because maybe the person who opened my letter screwed up.
Nope, no word. I don't think I will hear anything. ASRock thinks they have gods and angels working for them and there are never any problems with their products, it's the consumer. Heck, all those bent pins on this exact MB that you find people complaining about on the internet have to be done by dumb consumers due to the godly nature of ASRock. They just don't care.

Expensive lesson but one well learned. If your company will not stand behind its product then your company is crap and I will let everyone I come in contact with know this fact.

Just had a local non-profit bring me some parts to mess around with and we needed to get some MB's to finish off the 12 systems they wanted to give to people. Gigabyte was the company I chose and every MB worked perfect out of the box (oh wait, maybe I took a hammer to some cpu pins just for the heck of it) and are going to be given to some needy families.
Kevsta
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Kevsta »

ASRock can also kiss MY ASrock

I received a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 from newegg (new). The cpu socket had some bent pins, just like yours. I sent it to newegg, they said the couldn't replace it because it had physical damage (which it had to begin with) and they sent it back and said to send it to the manufacturer. When I got it back I sent ASRock support an email, and I also found your post. I guess my email to asrock is going to be useless...
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Kevsta wrote:ASRock can also kiss MY ASrock

I received a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 from newegg (new). The cpu socket had some bent pins, just like yours. I sent it to newegg, they said the couldn't replace it because it had physical damage (which it had to begin with) and they sent it back and said to send it to the manufacturer. When I got it back I sent ASRock support an email, and I also found your post. I guess my email to asrock is going to be useless...
I found problems like this all over the internet and everyone gets the runaround. It is a sad state of affairs and i really hope people stop buying ASRock motherboards because they do not care even one bit about their customers.

So again - SCREW YOU ASROCK - hope you are happy ripping people off.

I am really sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope they actually fix yours under warranty but I would not hold my breath. If they don't, spread the word everywhere you can about how crappy a company they are and maybe people will stop buying from them and go to a more reputable company for all their needs.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you guys got any pics of these bent pins? Just curious if they are similar.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:you guys got any pics of these bent pins? Just curious if they are similar.
I saw pics around the web as I was searching but some are not that detailed. It is really hard to get a good picture. I wish I had a macro lens for my t3i so I could have gotten better ones myself.
Kevsta
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Kevsta »

sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Guess I should take a close look at the pins on my ASRock Z77 board...haven't done anything with it yet.