Hook NAS up to a switch with no internet

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KnightRid

Hook NAS up to a switch with no internet

Post by KnightRid »

Ok so at my father in laws there is no way to run a cable downstairs to hook up my switch to run my NAS and other systems from so can I set u[ almost like an intranet using the switch? My laser printer is also a network one. I know I wont be able to see the NAS or printer unless I am physically connected through a wire but will it work?

I have a Synology 1512+ and a Dell Color Laser (model escapes me at this moment but its an older one, couple years old). Switch is a D-Link DGS-2205.

I tried to use a d-link DIR-655 router as a bridge (repeater could be the correct term) but it wont let me connect wirelessly to the router upstairs in order to then use cables for the internet downstairs.

My switch is gigabit as are my computers so speed isnt a problem. I just dont know how to set everything up to be able to see those devices without a router/internet connection.

I know the easiest thing to do would be buy a wireless repeater/bridge that has gigabit connections but at around $200 for the higher end home stuff, the wife is balking at that right now due to all the money we are losing selling the house plus moving expenses.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Digital Puppy

Re: Hook NAS up to a switch with no internet

Post by Digital Puppy »

From what I can tell of your issue, the best thing to do is try and get that bridge to work properly with your existing tech. If you can detect a wifi signal downstairs, then you should be able to put that second router into bridge mode and connect your downstairs 'network'. You may need to call the D-Link 800-number to make sure you are setting everything up properly.

You will be able to use the second "intranet" by itself though (switch/computer/nas/printer) and talk to each other.

Other than getting a really long Ethernet cable, you might be forced to purchase an extender (Asus/Amped/Netgear) or a powerline adapter. These are sub - $100 solutions too that you can get from Office Depot or Best Buy and try out and take back if they don't work...or when you visit is over. :)
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Thanx. From what I have read the D-Link will not work as a bridge, at all. UGH!

The "visit" may be quite a while. He is 80 and still kicking pretty good but needed some help around the house (6 acres of land too) so it helped us get away from the annoying neighbors and him in the process.

I guess I will start checking out some good extenders. Seems like the Asus whooped Amped Wireless according to the best site on the internet for product reviews that are legit :mrgreen: but it can only operate on one band. 5ghz signal strength is so low that the Amped would not even pick it up in the basement as it seems to need 70% or better and I am lucky to get 53% at the best point. 2.4ghz band is good now that I put my E4200 on and got rid of the d-link.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Try a power line network adapter? and get an access point for upstairs.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote:Try a power line network adapter? and get an access point for upstairs.
electric is 2 separate boxes upstairs and downstairs (old house, I have no clue why) so power line adapter will still not let me use it downstairs because the wires never intersect.

upstairs already has my E4200 on it which sends out a pretty darn good signal (I am on it in the basement right now with no problems) but I want to hook my NAS and printer up directly downstairs because taking the dvds/blurays i ripped to the NAS and watching them over 2.4ghz wireless would be a horrible experience. 5ghz band is just too weak to sniff more than 4x% downstairs but the 2.4ghz is 98% in bedroom and still around 50% at the furthest distance away so that is when I thought of using the d-link as a repeater, which it wont do, and then about an extender just to get the wired gigabit ports downstairs.

Trying to do it cheaply is the wife yelling about how much we are losing on the house and how much moving has cost so far ;)