Setting up a home network *Error code 0x80070035 SOLVED*

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Setting up a home network *Error code 0x80070035 SOLVED*

Post by Kaos Kid »

Anybody know of a good tute for setting up a home network on Windows 7 PCs? I have 3 that I would like to share/transfer files with, two are wireless and those will probably do the bulk of the sharing/streaming of videos and music. I currently have teredo disabled, and only use IPv4 so will I have to enable teredo and IPv6 to set up a network? TIA!

PS my router is a DIR-850L and I am using N wireless adapters, both PCs are on the 5Ghz band.
Last edited by Kaos Kid on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Setting up a home network

Post by Major_A »

Check out a couple of these videos. If they don't help then shoot us some more questions. Good luck.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Set up an account on each computer that is the same or else you will have to constantly enter username/password for shared folders....then just share folders.

There is no need for ipv6 or anything fancy. Windows 7 has the built in homegroup stuff too but I find it easier to just share folders.

If you have a NAS just wire it in to your wireless router and then you can see it on each computer.

Really not hard at all for a simple sharing of files.

If you are like me, you may be disappointed in how slow even wireless N actually is ;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

KnightRid wrote:If you are like me, you may be disappointed in how slow even wireless N actually is ;)
That's no lie. I have an AC USB 3.0 adapter on my wireless N network that generally has a connection speed of 150 Mbps. But when I go to transfer files the average speed is around 6 MB/s, nowhere near the max theoretical speed of 15 MB/s. If you want to transfer a file with a lot of small files then do yourself a favor and create a ZIP file before you send them on their way. Otherwise the transfer speeds will be atrocious.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Major_A wrote:
KnightRid wrote:If you are like me, you may be disappointed in how slow even wireless N actually is ;)
That's no lie. I have an AC USB 3.0 adapter on my wireless N network that generally has a connection speed of 150 Mbps. But when I go to transfer files the average speed is around 6 MB/s, nowhere near the max theoretical speed of 15 MB/s. If you want to transfer a file with a lot of small files then do yourself a favor and create a ZIP file before you send them on their way. Otherwise the transfer speeds will be atrocious.
Exactly! I usually plug my laptop in to the gbps router to transfer files.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Ya simple folder sharing sounds good enough to me, what I would like to do is share a couple of folders between two Windows 7 machines, from Computer A to Computer B, for purposes of sharing music and copying some large files (some in excess of 10GB). Here are the variables:

Both folders I want to share with Computer B are on a primary partition on a secondary drive installed in Computer A.

There are other folders on that partition, and another partition on that drive (another system partition I with an old XP install that I use when I need to boot to that old dino), but I only want to share the two folders originally specified, and I do not want to share anything on the system drive from Computer A.

Both computers are on a 5Ghz wifi N network. Computer A has two accounts, both password protected. Either account can access the secondary drive and all folders therein, but will most likely only be logged in to one particular account (mine) when sharing said folders. Computer B has only one account that is not password protected and boots to desktop without a welcome screen nor password nag.

I've tried to set those folders up with sharing rights set to "everyone" for "read". What confuses me is that both computers see each other in "Network" when I call up the "My Computer" screen but when I try to further access them I get the error that network path was not found. I do have "netbios over TCP/IP" enabled in both wireless adapter properties, and I disabled my firewalls on both PCs temporarily (both Windows firewalls and Comodo firewalls) to take them out of the equations). What else do I need to do?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Windows firewall should auto adjust for file sharing so you can leave it on.

Go to the advanced sharing settings in your windows (in windows 7 its network and sharing center -> choose homegroup and sharing options -> change advanced sharing options ) and make sure network discovery and file sharing are on. Also if you only want people with an account and password to be able to access the folder, make sure the password file sharing is on.

Again, make sure that the login you are using on the computer you want to be able to see the shared folders from is the same as is on the other computer. You have to have the exact same account settings on each to make it work nicely. If you dont it should ask for username and password when you click it in windows explorer.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Although one computer sees the other in the network table, when I click on the icon it says network path not found. I wonder if my router itself is hampering the connection. Also I know there will be some filters to add in my COMODO firewall, I couldn't see any wifi network PCs at all, only my hardwired box next to the router downstairs. After disabling COMODO in the two wifi PCs that I want to share folders, I can see them in each other's network dropdown but can't connect--"network path not found".

Again, Wifi PC-A that holds particular folders on a secondary drive that I want to share has two password protected accounts. I have to logon to that with my personal password.
Wifi PC-B (my HTPC) has just one account with administrator privileges through auto logon with no password.
There is also a Wired PC-C downstairs next to my router that also has only one account with administrator privileges through auto logon with no password.
Those three will be for all practical purposes the only ones that will share with each other, but I am only concerned with getting A & B talking, C will come later using A & B's settings as an example.

Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled in both wifi PCs
UPnP IGD is enabled in my router
Each Wifi PC can ping the Wired PC, and vice-versa, but neither Wifi PC can ping each other.
I have Teredo disabled.

Note: I can access shared folders on both wifi PCs from the wired PC, and I can access shared folders from the wired PC on each wifi PC, just can't get the two wifi PCs to acknowledge each other. They don't get to the password prompt, they just show this:

Windows can't access \\XXXX (name of wifi PC)
blah blah blah
Error code 0x80070035
The network path was not found
further diagnostics by windows states : "Windows can't find a computer or device named "XXXX" (although it shows in the network list)

Then when I Google the error code 0x80070035 I've followed any advices I've found to no avail.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Check if you have access by testing connectivity to the required ports. In command prompt type the following commands 'telnet x.x.x.x 137', ' telnet x.x.x.x 139' & telnet x.x.x.x 445' - you should get a prompt but not able to type anything & will have to force close the command prompt. If you get 'connection refused' it's a firewall or something wrong with Windows. If you get 'no route to host' then it's a network configuration. Check the router settings under Wifi for 'wlan isolation' & disable.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

With x.x.x.x being the pc ip address
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

OK, I found a "WLAN partition enabled" in the router on both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, disabled those and immediately I could browse & copy from the host computer, so that was a big part of, if not all of the problem. What I don't really understand is why the laptop which was on the 2.4Ghz band could share with both the desktops on the 5Ghz band, but the two desktops on the 5Ghz band couldn't ping each other?

I am currently testing by copying over a 9.5GB .mkv file, according to AIDA64 it is transferring at an average of 5200 KB/s on the wireless 5Ghz N adapter, using my 1200AC router.

^^^It took about 15 minutes , but the file transferred with no errors. I was also able to stream and play videos still on the host machine, during action scenes throughput jumped up to average up to 3500KB/s, some spikes above that but didn't look bad if I want to just watch something without copying it over. Music of course played flawlessly. I can transfer large files faster with my "Tornado" cable, but the PCs need to be within a few feet of each other. I guess when prices come down a bit I will try for an ACrated WiFi adapter, should get much better speeds. Thanks for the heads up on that "WLAN partition" thing, that was most likely it.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Kaos Kid wrote: Thanks for the heads up on that "WLAN partition" thing, that was most likely it.

No problem - I'm certain it's what was causing it
It's usually not enabled and only done by default on routers for the 2nd/3rd SSID (as users normally setup additional networks to run as hotspots)

It sounds like a minor bug in the router firmware - I'd check the manufacturer site for any updates; just in case.
In my experience with working with router manufacturers, they often introduce silly bugs with f/w updates; but are just as quick to fix them
Since you are running AC, it's more likely that there will be firmware updates as it's new technology and when the manufacturer started working on the base fiirmware; AC standards were probably not finalised (dev work on router f/w takes att least 18mths for large manufacturers)
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yep, I'm up to date with the latest from the DLink site for this router, was posted in January (build date December). I've always had the WLan partition enabled, probably something I myself did back when I first got it. Just weird though that it let the laptop through without problems but didn't like the desktops. Maybe it had something to do with the lappie's Win8 automatically setting up network shares, it did all the work and was spot on from the start. Now I have to go back and re-enable all the security I had to disable while troubleshooting this, one setting at a time :lol:

Thanks for the pin-point suggestion, I was tired of watching tutes and reading posts on other forums having the same problems but no solutions. I wonder how many others that never fixed their problem had similar settings in their routers and didn't know it?

I'm going to add that error code to the subject title so this thread comes up in future searches for others.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Setting up a home network *Error code 0x80070035 SOLVED*

Post by kenc51 »

I worked for years in tech support for an isp, you'd be amazed how many times it comes up. Eventually you get tired of it and ask all the customers just to reset the router.