Komputerbay RAM

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Komputerbay RAM

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Has anyone had any experience with Komputerbay memory? I suddenly find myself in need of replacements for my old GSkill sticks because one or both are malfunctioning.

I ordered a set for one of our seniors who owns an old Dell Dimension and when it arrived, one of the sticks was bad and I had to return the whole thing. Based on that, I'm not too optimistic. I also realize, however, any brand of anything can have a bad one slip through QC.

I'm primarily looking at Amazon because, fortuitously, our Fire Chief sent me a $50 Amazon gift card for some graphics work I did for him (Thanks, Al!). Apparently, DDR2 memory has not gotten any cheaper in the last 5 years but I still need to get it on the cheap because we just had to put a new motor in our only car ($2900) & I just had to replace my broken Galaxy S4 ($175 deductible). Happy 8th anniversary to my wife & me!

I'd like to get PC2-8500 and I'd love to be able to get 8 GB but I may have to settle for 4 now and 4 more a little later down the road.

Any thoughts on this brand? Or should I just stick with Kingston, Crucial, OCZ, & other more mainstream brands?

Thanks, as always!
J
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
KnightRid

Re: Komputerbay RAM

Post by KnightRid »

I tried it once and sent it back due to errors also. I never went back. Not worth the hassle to save a couple bucks. I would stick with brand name.

My S4 has a broken screen :( I wont be getting it fixed until the ridiculous prices for the glass and digitizer come down or I find someone local that can just replace the glass for cheap. Still works just cracked to all hell.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Yeah I was not so lucky. It broke just enough to destroy the display. Killed the phone. Yeehaa

Figured the cheapo brand wasn't worth it but thought I'd ask. I remember when GSkill was maligned.

Thanks!
~Bob Dylan
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I' just go with any established brand and if possible, one with a good warranty.
Any of the usual suspects; Kingston, Corsair, G.Skill etc.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Yeah, have GSkill now & that's probably what I'll go with again. After the aforementioned funnel o' money I was trying to save a few bucks but it's obviously not worth it.
~Bob Dylan