Laptop hit floor, go boom, now no video

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Laptop hit floor, go boom, now no video

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I might be getting out of my depth entirely because I'm thinking this might be a board issue.

Anyway, had my trusty HP G62 341NR sitting on my bed, minding its own business when Stormy the Cat decided it was time to investigate. She landed beside the laptop and just close enough to the edge of the bed that my laptop slid off the edge of the bed. I found it standing on its end with the top at 90° to the bottom. Horrified, I picked it up and checked it for visible damage: Nothing that I could see that just jumped out at me. But when I tried to boot it I got no video.

So I cursed my stupidity & set it to the side to deal with it later. A couple of weeks later I had a few minutes so I put it on the bench and connected a monitor to it. When I started it up, I have video on the external monitor but none on the laptop screen. I figured the screen is kaput even though there's no obvious damage and track down a new one for a decent price. Here I am today, having spent the afternoon swapping out the screens only to have the same thing happen.

I'd like to determine if there's any signal being sent to the screen but I'm not 100% sure how to do that. Is there any kind of adapter or is there a diagram for which wire does what on this model so I could at least maybe rig something up to perhaps test the system?

Thanks!
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
Velo:Sity

Re: Laptop hit floor, go boom, now no video

Post by Velo:Sity »

Did you check the connection from the screen cable to the board?
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I'm 99.999% sure because the new screen came with no cables. The connector is held in place on the back of the screen with tape which I re-used. I also double-checked the other end and even re-seated it to make sure.

Now there's a seed of doubt sprouting in the back of my mind so I'll triple-check it and post back.

Thanks
~Bob Dylan
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Bummer.

Let's hope it's just a loose connection or at most the cable got hosed. I've seen in similar situations where the port broke, but that was mainly from them yanking on it trying to figure it out themselves.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

In the immortal words of President Reagan, Well....

Stripped it down to just the new LCD, RAM & power switch. It starts up but nothing on the display. Wait, let me try my external monitor....I get the HP logo on the external but nothing on the LCD. I guess it could be the cable. Hmmm, maybe I have a cable from a DV6. Don't know if it'll work. Nope. Not even close. :finga:

I suppose I could order a cable just to see if that's the issue. Mine looks OK. Guess I can try to see if I can get continuity between the connectors? If I could see the pins! I just feel that doesn't fit, though. Could the impact of the computer hitting the floor spare the LCD but damage the cable? I'm sure it's possible but how likely is that?

I'm just kinda stumped right now. Suggestions?

Happy Independence Day, everyone!
~Bob Dylan