Which CPU?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Which CPU?

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

OK, I admit it, I have not kept up with processor advances, or memory for that matter. I'm a horrible, terrible person. Now I'm paying the price.

I need to buy a couple of PCs. One is a traditional desktop, the other is an all-in-one (or that is what they would prefer). Neither are going to be used for anything intensive. At least the AIO isn't. It's used, sparingly at that, at our Senior Center for email, web browsing and printing web pages. The desktop is for the Chief of Highway Department. The most strenuous task either is likely to put on their machines would be Office. The Seniors' PC is replacing an ~2008 iMac 8,1 & they do occasionally use it to play music for special events such as the Thanksgiving/Christmas Dinners; Dyngus Day (An ancient Polish holiday made famous by Anderson Cooper) which is similar to Sadie Hawkins Day; Mother's/Father's Day, etc.

From my limited knowledge, I'd think an i3 would be more than enough for either of them. I doubt they would need "Turbo" & they definitely don't need to simultaneously run multiple OSes.

Just would like to hear your thoughts....

Thanks very much!
Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Which CPU?

Post by Sowser »

I think the Intel Core i3-4150 LGA 1150 - BX80646I34150 would do nicely. It fits an 1150 mother board so if for some reason you do need to upgrade i the future you'd have a wide range of processor with which to do so. It's a modern chip at a pretty low price point.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Thanks, looks like that CPU is an awesome little sleeper. However, I think I need to go a cheaper route for the PC for the seniors. It's just not worth the extra money for the tiny amount of usage that machine sees. Probably will go AMD on it. Found a combo for $229 that knocks the total parts price below $400 with a 23" monitor, input devices & speakers. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... bo.1735110

I'll see what the powers say to this quote.

Thanks so much again!
~Bob Dylan
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

So you want something below $400 and isn't going to play hardcore games?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

That pretty much sums it up. I went ahead and went with the bundle I referenced above, added a 23" Hanns-G monitor, MSoft Wireless Keyboard & Mouse & some cheap-o speakers. I came in at something like $377. Like I said, it's for our senior center. It's used primarily by the Director for surfing the net, printing recipes & email. They occasionally play music on it for special events such as Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners, etc, even though I have to show him how to load it up each time.

They'be been using a 2008 iMac that was forced on them by a former Board Trustee who was a Mac freak, the only one I know of in the Village. She tried to teach them how to use it but alienated most of them with her teaching methods which included flash cards, pop quizzes & tests. One senior told me "I didn't live to be 84 years old to repeat the first goddamn grade!" Said Trustee lasted one term and was voted out by a landslide.

The AMD processor seemed to be OK for such tasks because, like I said earlier, I don't want to go completely backward to a Pentium or Celeron. The computer itself only cost $229 including mobo, 1 TB HDD, CPU, 4 GB PC3-12800 RAM, case & PSU. Figured I really couldn't beat that deal for what little I really needed in the way of performance. I'd planned on a much smaller drive but, again, I couldn't pass up that deal.
~Bob Dylan