Ridiculous ASUS Thunderbolt stuffs

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Ridiculous ASUS Thunderbolt stuffs

Post by brentsg »

I picked up an ASUS Z97 board that's advertised as being compatible with their Thunderbolt EX II add-in card. Since I actually need Thunderbolt, I also nabbed one of those after searching the world over.

The card arrived today and ASUS has completely botched this. The card comes with a 9 pin cable that's to be plugged into a Thunderbolt header socket on the motherboard. Naturally, the motherboard only has a 5 pin socket for this 9 pin cable. According to some information on PC Perspective's review comments for the Deluxe board, ASUS has produced an adapter cable to remedy this. The part number is 14003-00380000, however they have neglected to include it with the motherboards or the PCIe cards. It is included with the mega-super-Deluxe board that kits everything and the kitchen sink in one box, but nowhere else.

I reached out to ASUS' e-shop today and they confirmed that I cannot buy one. They sent me to tech support, who confirmed that they will not send me one but wanted to send me back to their e-shop. This was a priceless conversation, where the representative repeatedly made a fool fool of himself. After going over and over the issue, he suggested that I try to buy this from a retailer such as Newegg or Amazon. Of course neither will sell the part, nor should it be necessary to buy something that was supposed to be in the box to begin with.

If anyone has contacts at ASUS, I'm sure they'd like to fix this oversight since it seems others are unable to use their cards as well. Otherwise, to the other 2 people that need Thunderbolt, buyer beware.

Thanks.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Ridiculous ASUS Thunderbolt stuffs

Post by sbohdan »

Wow, what a bummer! ](*,)
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've passed this URL along to ASUS and I'll see if I can help get you the right adapter.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Apoptosis wrote:I've passed this URL along to ASUS and I'll see if I can help get you the right adapter.
Nate saves the day as usuall :prayer: :supz:

I wonder what they have to say about this ridiculous and absurd situation? Hope you give us an update on this?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Post by brentsg »

I appreciate the assistance. It is indeed absurd, but it is in line with my recent PC building experiences. My first ASUS motherboard was DOA and had to be swapped out. I bought a pair of MSI Gaming 280's to tide me over till new GPUs, and one of them artifacts like crazy. Waiting for that RMA.

It seems that the Thunderbolt EX cards might have been recalled (speculation) to remedy this. It was tough to find and I got mine through a small US based e-retailer. In light of that, the absurd part is just the fact you can't call their tech support and get it taken care of. When I called, it felt like I was teaching a training class and failing hard.

Posting this with 1 bar of Verizon 3G in the middle of nowhere, so I'll be shocked if this works.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I got you the proper adapter from ASUS... Just need e-mail, address and phone number to get it shipped out.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:I've passed this URL along to ASUS and I'll see if I can help get you the right adapter.
Nate saves the day as usuall :prayer: :supz:

I wonder what they have to say about this ridiculous and absurd situation? Hope you give us an update on this?
ASUS basically told me this:

"The new EX cards will ship with the 5-pin adapter also, which is why they are not available in the US right now." So, the cards aren't for sale in the United States. What is happening is people are buying them internationally or bringing them over to sell and there is no way to use them without the needed adapter.
Follow Me on Twitter!
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Post by brentsg »

I definitely bought mine from a US based retailer, though small. They seem to be concerned and they are talking to "their distributor", who is talking to ASUS.. That being said it hasn't resulted in any helpful action.

What I have on hand would definitely seem to be intended for North America. The back of the manual has a full page dedicated to USA FCC compliance, as well as Canadian Communications compliance. To me it just looks like an engineering "whoops", followed by a sub-100% recall.

It definitely isn't readily available via the large retailers though (Newegg, Amazon, etc). The retailer I used said he had a lot of orders, likely because he showed it as in-stock. Hopefully ASUS can remedy the issue with their tech support so the others that picked it up aren't left with a useless card.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

which retailer did you buy it from?
Follow Me on Twitter!
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Post by brentsg »

http://www.lotnllc.com/

I'd never heard of them, but Google hooked us up. The owner (John) was very responsive, aside from actual results. There probably wasn't a lot he could do.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Lord of the Net... Nice...

Never heard of them, but have now.
Follow Me on Twitter!
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Post by brentsg »

And so it ends.. Thanks again for the assistance. Ironically, it was shipped to me by their e-store. On the phone they were adamant that they didn't have any of these and could not send me one. ](*,)

ASUS 14003-00380000.jpg
ASUS 14003-00380000.jpg (26.96 KiB) Viewed 36282 times
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Glad I could be of assistance. As with 99% of everything in life... It's not what you know, but who you know.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Powellgb
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Powellgb »

I have the same issue. Date I ask how you were able to convince asus to send you the part?
rantrim
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by rantrim »

I also have this problem. How can I get my hands on the part?
tonyski
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by tonyski »

You would have thought by now that ASUS would have worked this problem out..... but not yet!

I have the ThunderboltEX II Dual card and an X99 Deluxe Motherboard with a 5 pin header.

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than spend another minute on the phone with ASUS customer support.

Has anyone found a source for 9 pin to 5 pin cable p/n 14003-00380000 ???
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

tonyski wrote:You would have thought by now that ASUS would have worked this problem out..... but not yet!

I have the ThunderboltEX II Dual card and an X99 Deluxe Motherboard with a 5 pin header.

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than spend another minute on the phone with ASUS customer support.

Has anyone found a source for 9 pin to 5 pin cable p/n 14003-00380000 ???
Yeah, you would think that by now they would have. Customer Service not doing it? What country are you located in?
Follow Me on Twitter!
tonyski
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by tonyski »

I am in the USA
Decatur, GA near Atlanta
PT8716
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by PT8716 »

25%.jpg
25%.jpg (81.21 KiB) Viewed 24788 times
I throw myself on the mercy of the Gods! I've called ASUS tech support and ASUS store 3 times and nobody knows what I'm talking about. My new ASRock X99 motherboard has a 5-pin TB header but my THUNDERBOLTEX II has a 9-pin to 9-pin cable. I look at the date of these other comments and can't believe it's sill an issue. Can someone PLEASE help me get a 9-pin to 5-pin adapter?