PSU Idea

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

PSU Idea

Post by DJ Tucker »

I know I have been posting a lot of questions as of late but this is my final one for a while as I will be away. anyway as you all know I have a coolermaster haf 932 advanced and my psu is mounted at the bottom with the fan inside the case taking cool air from my 4x 120mm fans (65cfm each). however I don't plan on getting a water cooler just yet if at all and was thinking to utilise the huge amount of space at the top of the case, could I put my psu at the top mount with the fan facing the top vent so it has it's own airflow with a 120mm fan next to it as intake? this is to help take the stress off my 2 gtx 580s as the bottom 580 is close to the psu :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: PSU Idea

Post by bubba »

Not sure what would cause stress on the card, unless you think there is not enough space between the card and the PSU for good air flow.

I would have the fan side of the PSU pointed down. Thats what the vent in the bottom of the case under the PSU is for.

Putting the PSU up in the top wont hurt anything, just make it a little more top heavy.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote:I would have the fan side of the PSU pointed down. Thats what the vent in the bottom of the case under the PSU is for.
That.

If the PSU is getting that hot where the fan is not cooling it well enough, you may want to look for a new PSU because the heat will end up killing it anyway. I have the haf932 myself but have a Thermaltake Water 2.0 radiator/fans attached to the top panel instead of the stock fan. I only have the one gtx660 video card with an Antec 850w psu, core i7-3770k, 32gb ram, 6 hard drives and a bluray writer and my psu is warm but never hot even during gaming sessions.

I would be real concerned if the PSU is getting that hot!!!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

my psu isn't getting hot just the gpu that is 3cm above it. the fan on the psu is much better at sucking in the cool air from my 4 120mm side fans than my gpu. it meant my poor gpu was being starved or air. so to hopefully stop this I decided to go ahead and have a crack at putting my psu at the top with the fan facing the top vent.

my 2 gtx 580s have dropped in temp quite a bit. top card dropped by 5c load and bottom card 12c load. from that my cpu dropped 4c load and my psu with a thermal adhesive strip attached to the bottom is 2c warmer at full system load. so it seems that this has become a much better choice. also cable management from the top mounting bay was easier.
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air