Lost mysql database website recovery

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
OliverRichardson
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Lost mysql database website recovery

Post by OliverRichardson »

My web server was lost and I am now attempting to get our company website back up and running using the backups we do have. What I do have is all of the files that made up the site but what I do not have a backup of is the mysql config for the site.

Looking through some of the php files I can the database name and the user the pages are calling. What I am unable to find is a database file I could import or any documentation in the source files (that include the original files from the webdevelopers.)

How might I go about finding this information can anyone tell me where to look and secondly how I might go about finding what tables I need to make etc.
KnightRid

Re: Lost mysql database website recovery

Post by KnightRid »

I have no personal knowledge nor experience with this but i found this online

http://serverfault.com/questions/82801/ ... t-aptitude

not sure if that will help or not. Hopefully someone will hop on this morning with more knowledge than I.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KristofLakatos
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by KristofLakatos »

In your old server ..look for the datadir . which is genrally on ubuntu in mycase will be in /var/ ... partition .

You will have all the files there of the databases .

Since you are starting up a new server , my.cnf file should not be a problem since you already have backups .... Just create the databases and redirect from backups .

The my.cnf should be in /etc/mysql/my.cnf path ...

This options file contains all the directives for the data dir location .
See also http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8791 ... -frm-files
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/ ... 893-1.aspx
Some "gotchas" other people have encountered.
Thanks.
OliverRichardson
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Thanks for your response. My old server was IIS and I am unable to get to it all I have are the website files from backup.

My new environment is Ubuntu lamp install. I have the server issuing the page but I get this error when I open the page:

I cannot connect to the database because: Access denied for user 'x'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

At this point I have been scouring all of the .php files and am finding two databases being called including the names and passwords two accounts. From what I can gather one set of creds is for the admin page (backdoor) and the other for the site to call mysql.

I do have the original files from the web developers and would think there would be a sample table I could import or the documentation for what tables to set up but I really don't see anything.
KristofLakatos
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by KristofLakatos »

Vaguely i can say that , this is happening because of permissions/credentials for database connectivity ..

Go to shell prompt ..

# issue this command

#mysql -u root -p

Give the password that you have given to mysqlroot ..while installing you should get the msql > like this.
It means you can connect to the database. Later you can check with phpmyadmin also .
If that doesn't help, then I can offer a solution to try to use MySql Recovery Toolbox. I am sure this will increase the chances to recover the data.
http://www.oemailrecovery.com/mysql_recovery.html
OliverRichardson
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Thank you all for your advice! The issue has been resolved.