BSOD help needed

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KnightRid

BSOD help needed

Post by KnightRid »

I have been experiencing a BSOD lately that ends up restarting my computer and then sitting on a black screen saying bootmgr.exe is missing. If I restart sometimes it fires right up, other times I have to get into the bios and change the boot order back to the SSD because for some reason it changed. I have looked online and the only things I found were memory or ssd causing the problem but the memory tested fine (just used windows memory test if you think I should use memtest please let me know which settings you think are the best to test it out and I will create the boot disk/usb and run it) and crystal disk info shows no errors on the ssd (Crucial MX100 512GB) and 99% life remaining.

Oh the error file says ntoskrnl.exe - which isnt very helpful lol

I think I will uninstall virtualbox and vmware to make sure virtualization is not causing it as those drivers keep showing up.

Any other suggestions? It seems to mostly happen overnight but not consistently.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BSOD help needed

Post by Apoptosis »

I had a laptop that would crash (BSOD) and then come back on saying that it couldn't find a drive. I ended up selling the laptop as I never could figure it out and there were no updates for the UEFI or anything.

If it says boomgr is missing did you try repairing it? Maybe try startup repair?

I'd start there and also see if a new UEFI is available. Also, back up critical data on another drive!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

have you tried running the simple chkdsk.exe?
or even tried running command prompt in admin and sfc /scannow :shock:
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

startup repair finds no problems as it works, just bsods and sometimes goes missing but when I redo the boot order or sometimes just turn off and back on then it works just peachy...really weird! Nothing new for my motherboard bios as it is a Gigabyte Z77X-D3H on F16 already - yea, old but still works (hopefully lol)

I thought chkdsk was not good or needed to run on a SSD?

I never gave sfc a thought but will run it now. - Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. - all clear

Thanx. I uninstalled the virtual stuff also just to see what happens.

I am gonna run ultimate boot cd as I think it has memtest on it just for something to try awhile.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

ran memtest+ and had no errors. I am leaning towards the ssd but there is no way I know of to test a ssd for problems other than the smart data.

We shall see what happens now that no more virtualization software is installed.

Maybe I need to upgrade to Windows 10 :lol: Oh my, that was good for a laugh :mrgreen:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

lol windows 10 is a good OS but it isn't without its downsides. when gaming I have noticed its worse. average of 5% slower with my gtx 980. CPU usage is lower and there for part responsible to lower frame rate average. otherwise is faster at boot times 15-20% over windows 7 and 5-10% over windows 8/8.1. with mechanical HHD boot times after 35-40% faster as I noticed which is amazing for spin drive holders that can't afford ssd's just yet :) the biggest downside is the windows 7 and windows 8/8.1 combined into one with the desktop and metro tile features :(
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

DJ Tucker wrote:lol windows 10 is a good OS but it isn't without its downsides. when gaming I have noticed its worse. average of 5% slower with my gtx 980.
What game is 5% slower on Windows 10? I noticed nothing near that great when I tested it last year.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

all futuremark benchmarks, killing floor 2, call of duty black ops 3 and painkiller hell and damnation.
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

Could be a faulty SSD cable or connector, perhaps you could try different cable and/or plug it into different connector... Or simply make sure it doesn't get loose.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Velo:Sity wrote:Could be a faulty SSD cable or connector, perhaps you could try different cable and/or plug it into different connector... Or simply make sure it doesn't get loose.
I tried that (replaced both the sata and power cable) and it still did it.

So far it has not freaked out since I took the virtualization software off but it may take a week or so till it does it again.

Windows 7 = functional
Windows 10 = perty
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

It has been doing this so it was not the virtualization stuff.

I changed it to 3 different sata ports on the MB with no change in the behavior so I guess I will try and get a hold of Crucial to see if they know anything about this behavior to see if the drive is in fact going bad.

Any other options/opinions/ideas?

Oh and I got an error in windows already with it half locking up and I noticed the C drive was gone. Missing from the list in windows explorer and in computer. It was really weird since windows was still kind of running without the boot drive. Restarted and got the bootmgr is missing and had to go into bios and change the boot order to put the ssd first again.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Try HD Sentinel to test the SSD. The best diagnostic software for SSD's and HDD's.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

sbohdan wrote:Try HD Sentinel to test the SSD. The best diagnostic software for SSD's and HDD's.
Downloading the trial now. Does this do anything more than what crystal disk info does? Well I will find out in...my lord, 8 minutes 21 seconds. I really want to move to a location with real broadband!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I installed Sentinel and noticed one neat thing....I have had communication errors on the ssd over 6000 times and on the one regular hard drive over 18000 times. It does not show most of the other hard drives because I am using a raid controller in jbod so I have enough sata connections on the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H motherboard. Only thing i can think there is either it is counting when they power down to sleep and wake back up for use or maybe the 850W power supply is not enough for the 7 hard drives, i7-3770k cpu, 32gb of ram, gtx660 video card, thermaltake water 2.0 water cooling and the 2 big fans in the haf932 case. Should be though as I never had problems till recently.....unless it is starting to go south.