Problem with extracting files from ZIP archive.

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
ConorrMurphy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Problem with extracting files from ZIP archive.

Post by ConorrMurphy »

Need help restoring backup files which were created by genie backup manager software.
I have lost some of the sequential files in the overall backup sequence.
The software vendor knowledge base claims that the almost 2-gig backup files are really
a zip file and should be able to unzip with any winzip type utility.
Problem and a question is: I get the zip files, unzip them and all files come out great but with
an extra extension. For example document.doc gets extracted as document.doc.genc file.
I rename the file to document.doc and even though the file size, creation date is fine the
file is unreadable. This applies to all files extracted this way. anyone had any experience with this?
Or what is a good zip un-corrupt utility out there?
KnightRid

Re: Problem with extracting files from ZIP archive.

Post by KnightRid »

Swift Restore?

http://www.genie9.com/Support/Manuals/g ... estore.htm

The genc is because (from what I read) they do NOT use standard ZIP encryption just compression. You can extract the files but they are still encrypted.

I would email Genie (or call) and ask how to un-encrypt the files if the swift restore wont work.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
MarcelBlazek
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by MarcelBlazek »

Providing you have the professional version, and hopefully at least version 6.x. Open Genie Backup and go to Tools/Advanced Tools/Genie Eyes and decrypt all the backup files after unzipping them (by changing the main file extensions to .zip). This process will decrypt and make your files usable.
If that doesn't help, then the only option is to try to recover the files using ZIP Recovery Toolbox. I think that you will be able to save at least some files if not all.

Zip Recovery will not decrypt genie files as it is for fixing corrupt zip files which they are not...
focin albert
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by focin albert »

I was facing same kind of issue but in my case it was due to improper configuration!