Help! No LAN detected.

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Help! No LAN detected.

Post by sbohdan »

My son's PC doesn't show the ethernet card in device manager. First thought it was a driver problem, so uninstalled and installed a driver. Next I looked in BIOS but there is no LAN detected eighter. Than I bought a separate PCI ethernet card with a single LAN port. Still nothing. There is no yellow triangle in device manager just the whole "Network Adapters" category doesn't show. I'm out of ideas. Any help? ](*,)

There is Win7 Home on the PC.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Help! No LAN detected.

Post by bubba »

The on board may have shot craps. Boot to a linux live cd of some flavor a see if it will see the PCI card.

In the off chance if sees either of the NICs, Windows is dorked somehow. Sees nothing, could be the board.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

What is the board model number?

Updated to the latest BIOS/UEFI build?

So, you removed the driver and installed it. That means the NIC was there for the driver to install. Why its not seeing it after the driver is installed is weird. Can you go to a system restore point?

You might also want to run a program like CCleaner to tidy up the registry. That might do the trick.

When it doubt blow off the OS and do a fresh install!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Look in device manager for anything under OTHER DEVICES and it will say UNKNOWN or something similar. Remove it. Reboot. See if it installs a driver correctly.

Along with ccleaner also run malwarebytes or whatever spyware program you like the best.

Boot into safe mode with networking and see if you an find it or install it and get it to stick.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Case solved. I took a spare, empty SSD and put a fresh install of Win7 on it. First it didn't work but than after one of the restarts, suddenly it did. I have no explanation why it did though. Made no sense. Anyway, Thanks for all the answers. It gave me couple of ideas. Just a bit confused why it didn't and than why it suddenly did :?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=