Router to Router

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Router to Router

Post by Kaos Kid »

Currently my network is set up for wireless N/AC. I do have a couple of wireless g devices but I don't want to have to put my whole network into G compatibility mode just for one or two devices that aren't used regularly. Is it possible to take my old Linksys WRT-54G router and connect to my AC/N router via ethernet cable, and just run the G devices off of the LInksys WRT-54G? Would I have to assign an address to the WRT54G through the AC/N router and then assign addresses to the other G devices using the WRT-54G? If so, I guess I would have to assign addresses to the G devices that are in a different range than the existing addresses on the AC/N router? Thanks for any insights.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Re: Router to Router

Post by KnightRid »

You should be able to hook the G router with a network cable to your router now and set a separate SSID without much fuss. Basically you are just setting up a new tethered network. To do it wirelessly you would have to set it to be a bridge or AP and it wont work unless the main router is the same band (as far as I know anyway) so you will have to hook it up with a wire. Keep the G router in router mode and not the AP or bridge!

I would hook the router direct to a computer with a network cable first so you can change the IP of the router to something different than yours is now or you wont be able to access one of them. Change the SSID also while you are in there to make it simple hooking it up.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Router to Router

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yeah not looking to do it wireless, it will be connected by ethernet to one of four ports on my AC/N router that runs the network so all I need it to do it take on the wireless traffic from the few G devices that have need of it.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll: