Question concerning modems

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Question concerning modems

Post by Mr. Chan »

I've been pretty reluctant to post anything, but I'm testing and working with a dial-up modem and I was wondering about some things. I've done research in the past, read a lot and learned a lot however, there are some things that have been thinking about recently and haven't found so much info on some of them.

First off, I was wondering if anyone had some information on the different types of compression and the best form for these slow connections. I concluded that one type (I can't remember which anymore!) between hardware or software was better and the other was unnecessary (i think it was software was the better). Any clarification and/or information on the different types of compression methods used (i.e. MPPC, etc.)?

Second, I know that true 56K uses an analog-digital conversion and that more than one of these can cause the connection to drop back to 28.8 (or was it 33.6). I believe this is a problem I am having for a very long time as I have never connected in over a year past 28.8 and the average connection was 26.4 on an older modem. The system I use now has a very nice USR PRO modem (v92, but my ISP doesn't support that and I have limited options, such as no broadband the main limit). It maintains a 98% average of 28.8 and 1% 31.2 and 1% for bad days (less than 28.8).

Who can I contact to get these things worked on? The only phone exchange and company available in my county is Sprint and they said last time (a while ago though) that we were 56K-enabled. That was that.

We are paying half of what broadband costs and getting 50-100x slower connection (56K) already....it's not bad enough for that, but we can't even get 56K which isn't so bad if you can keep it somewhat consistant.

I have tried Earthlink support, but there is only so much the ISP can do when they only provide the access and the phone company (@#$! MONOPOLIES) really does all the rest.

Don't even get me started on bandwidth and broadband issues in North America.

Oh and a couple notes, my neighbor has the same connection limitations on their old modem that was fried and their new one. My friend 5-10 minutes away has around 43 etc all the time, he has no problem like this.
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Corsair 2x256MB-XMS3200C2-PT
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

The problem is most likely due to the wireing in your area. What you may want to do is to look into getting an ISDN line installed, they run at 128k. There are alot of companies that will sell you an ISDN for the same price as broadband, its as fast but if you have no other options then i would look into it. The other option is to get a satilite connection like Bio has. you get fast downloads but have to use a modem for uploads and there is a download limit.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

There is no ISDN available in my area. Like you said, there is satellite however it is a major pos. I refuse to pay the costs to have that, then 80$ a month for how slow it is compared to the price you could pay for other services and get the same speeds -- besides, I don't want the high latency. The latency alone puts it out of question.

The cable/area ends a quarter of the mile from my house down the road. They told me if we paid $5, 000 to have the line extended they would do it. Nice try.

No, I'm looking to get the company (whichever one, likely Sprint) to get on the ball. They said it isn't the wiring, but I know better. I'm still leaning heavily towards the extra conversion caps.

Thanks, though..but does anyone know what actions or rights I have to have this fixed? I am paying for a service which I am not getting, it doesn't matter whose fault it is -- IM NOT GETTING WHAT IM PAYING FOR!

:$
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

I was in a similar situation a while ago. There was a "line multiplier" installed on the line. (dunno the "official" english name, as this is in Hungary, Europe) The phone company had to uninstall it to fit DSL on my phone line. But before this uninstallation I got around 30k/sec, after that (and before DSL, of course) 46-48k/sec on dialup. So it's possible that Sprint has installed some equipment on your wire, which (I'd say) you can ask to be removed, as you pay the same for the line as anyone else, who can use it properly. (If this is the case)
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

That's a very good possibility, but being such a rural area these guys wouldn't know much about that to start with.

Example, the phone man came to check out some things after the line was popped during a thunderstorm earlier this summer. He said my modem was fried and should buy a new one.

Ignoring him as I knew better, I kept my modem and my surge protector and changed wiring and it was fixed. The surge protector did it's job, despite what the man said (and I've been right about a lot of other things, too!). It's ironic to know more than the phone man.

I'll check into it, but I find this unlikely as they told me before we have 56K lines and it is enabled for us. Apparently, they're all idiots anyway.
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

This "multiplier" was installed in the closest "switch" or whatever it's called. (I live in a block of flats, and this was in the block's phone switching room). I dunno if that helps, but might give some ideas.
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

I think you mean switchboard, but I don't think that is what the problem is anymore. Come Monday morning, I'm going to have a nice long chat with them. Until then, ttfn.
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional