Getting DVI signal on a VGA monitor

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
BoxsterS258
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Getting DVI signal on a VGA monitor

Post by BoxsterS258 »

Is it possible to buy an adapter like http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1309 and create a DVI signal into my monitor, which doesnt come with any DVI port? My LCD only has a VGA port, and My next vid card will probably have a DVI port on it. So if I buy the adapter and put it on my vid card, and connect the vga cable from my monitor, will my monitor have DVI quality? Thanks in advance.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

no it wont have dvi quality since its converting the digital to an analog signal, and any card that has only dvi should come with the converter (that place is way over priced you can get the adapter for $5-7)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Most video cards these days come with 1 DVI port and 1 analog port. So unless you're running 2 CRT's you shouldn't need a adapter............ :shock: And if you're buying a new card, it should come with a adapter in the package, unless you're buying OEM.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

If you need one just PM me and i can give you one. (DVI to VGA that is)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

hum... if your monitor won't support DVI then it would be pointless to try anything right now. To get true DVI images you need a DVI ready card and monitor. Save up your money and do it all at once...

The new Nvidia Geforce 6600GT looks like a solid card and it's going to be priced at $199.99... you'll see it even lower than that soon enough. It's 3 times faster than the ATI X600XT & it is SLI ready...

Grab one of those and a new monitor and let DOOM3 & Half Life 2 rip!