Wireless Interference

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
viro
Legit User
Legit User

Wireless Interference

Post by viro »

I am really new to wireless networks, and I was wondering if my (future) wireless network will interfere with my tenants wireless network upstairs. Also, any great links to wireless information would be appreciated, thx!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

If it does they will never notice unless they are wireless gurus. Yes differnt networks can interfear, mostly this happens when a 802.11b signal gets on a network where its either .11g or is a propritary signal, (ie. Dlink card with Dlink AP running at 22mbs) being forced to drop down to 11mbs for compatiblity.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I live in a neighborhood with no less than 8 active networks!!!!!
I found the best way to go is first set up your network on a different channel, the default for every router/access point I have seen is channel 6, and alot of people don't bother changing that while setting up their network. Try channell 10 or 11. second, always enable your security feature on your network, this will prevent others from stealing your bandwidth and accessing your personal network, unfortunately there are people out there who will steal not only your bandwidth, but also your personal information.
To set up your security feature, follow the directions that came with your access point/router. If these are too complicated or cause problems, use the WEP that is included with Windows. You should probably use 128 bit encryption (I only use 64, mainly because I'd forget what i set it to). I'd also recommend a good firewall program like Zone Alarm.
Alot of people don't take the threat of wireless internet security serious enough. If you need help with any of this, feel free to ask.
As to a good site to set up a secure home network, i came across this article the other day and he does a great job of explaing "how to"

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=604
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

actual WEP alone is pretty weak, you should also make sure you get WPA capable hardware.
http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/pdf/Wi ... erview.pdf
One thing to consider is do you NEED a wlan ( frequently moved laptop, or wiring not possible is the only reason to go wireless)
And since you haven't bought yet, consider a 'g ' or super g setup which is only slightly more expensive, usually meets the newest standards, and has the advantage that (currently there are less of them out there making hacking less likely)
there are 2 types of 'speed booster available~ Dynamic rate shifting( like Netgear uses (Super G)http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Netgear_WG ... ml?tag=tab

and

Spread spectrum which attempts to use several channels at once.
I like the first type better and you are more likely to have sucess with a single channel and not interfere with others

Both types are backward compatible to 'g' and 'b' devices
viro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by viro »

thx for the help, and yes, I need the wireless network, my laptop will be arriving at my doorstep on thursday :)

I'm gonna check up on those links now..

also, are there any access points by linksys (I already have a linksys router) that anyone would reccomend?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Actually, after the experience i had with Linksys recently...I'd say run, run away very fast from any linsys product. After spendin g 2hours on the phone with some one who barely spoke English, who was probably someplace that didn't have running water, let alone electricity....and who has probably never seen an actual computer, i finally gave up and bought a new D-Link router/access point., which has worked very well.
I understand that G and Super g are the newest thing, but to me the extra money doesn't make much sense as even with the B you are limited by your ISP and not the speed of the router....I doubt anyone here has a connection that uses a tenth of the capability of their router/access point.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

well i hope you dont have to rma any dlink product directly to them they tend to be even worse. though i have to say linksys has one of the easiest rma processes thats not from a hd manufacturer.
anyhoo i bought the el cheapo airlink+ from frys and with a nice firmware update it runs great :) I have been using it for about 5 months now and mainly use it for sharing internet.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'm not using any wireless networking in my house, everything is hard wired............... :shock: I sort of had a advantage though, as when I was building my house 2 years ago, I wired up the house for my network. I maybe should have ran a line into the living room for a HTPC but I really didn't think ever need that................ :?
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

capper5016 wrote:.
I understand that G and Super g are the newest thing, but to me the extra money doesn't make much sense as even with the B you are limited by your ISP and not the speed of the router.
No if your primary use is internet, you'll never use mor than a third of a good "b" connection. however with interferance, distance or if you transfer files between local computers or a printer you'll find the extra bandwidth useful. I've had linksys routers (now farmed out to freinds and relitives) and they were fine, though netgear (my current favorite) is better designed, better performance, and (very important) better tech support.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

T-Shirt...
Maybe you'd be a good candidate for writing a "How to set up a secure wireless network" post?
Just a thought, but you know what you're doing and could definitely help alot of people out.

Post by Guest »

this D-Link
is looking pretty tempting.. anyone have any complaints about it?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

thats the one I'm running, and haven't had an issue with it yet
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

D-link is a good brand and the price is good
One qeustion would be does your notebook have 'g ' built-in? the reason I ask is
Buy.com has the same router bundled with a matched Cardbus (check the spec to see if this will work for you)adaptor for $48 after rebate (total is $15 less than Newegg) and free shipping, so if you need a card it's a good deal.
While all 'g' parts should interface equally with other ' g ' parts, stick to the same brand can make setup, usablity, and tech support easier (they can't say "it's your crappy brand X adapter" if they made both parts.)http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... dcaid=1688
viro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by viro »

hmm, i don't know why i came up as "Guest" there.. anyway, that was me

and yeah, i have G, its an Intel Pro/Wireless Lan 2200 b+g

I.... couuuulddd get that card for my dads laptop.... but he told me he doesn't need wireless. His laptop never moves from his desk.. he's never even used the battery.

thx for the linkage though, becuase i have a feeling he'll like the wireless later, so i may consider it (christmas is comin up soon anyway :)). Also, its never a bad thing to have some spare parts handy
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

viro wrote: I.... couuuulddd get that card for my dads laptop.... but he told me he doesn't need wireless. His laptop never moves from his desk.. he's never even used the battery.
then why would he get a laptop? they're slower, more expensive to buy and repair and upgrade, and harder to use because of the small keyboard and mouse.
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
viro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by viro »

i have been asking him the very same question man...