13 Intel Core i7 LGA 1366 CPU Coolers Compared

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
raheel
Legit User
Legit User

Re: 13 Intel Core i7 LGA 1366 CPU Coolers Compared

Post by raheel »

Apoptosis wrote:
Which coolers are you interested in? If you let us know a few of them we can tell you if they will work or not.
Thanks for quick reply

Any one of the following

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
Titan Fenrir
Spire thermax II

Thanks!

PS: Attached picture of my system so you will have a good idea
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (205.75 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

By the look of the case shot you have I going to say no on all of them, for now.

What is your case? From the looks of the image you posted I think all the coolers are too tall. Then on top of that the RAM cooler you have will prevent the coolers from bolting up due to it covering the 4th ram slot, so that will have to go.

Kudos on cramming that much hardware in a small case. :)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
raheel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by raheel »

bubba wrote:By the look of the case shot you have I going to say no on all of them, for now.

What is your case? From the looks of the image you posted I think all the coolers are too tall. Then on top of that the RAM cooler you have will prevent the coolers from bolting up due to it covering the 4th ram slot, so that will have to go.

Kudos on cramming that much hardware in a small case. :)

Hi

Thanks for reply.

I am using SilverStone LC-20M case. I do not mind tall case as I never put cop cover. (for better cooling).

And I am ready to remove ram cooler if it helps...
Attachments
user200938_pic1715_1242439342.jpg
user200938_pic1715_1242439342.jpg (75.24 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

If your running it with the top cover off then they will all fit. Might get the side cover on with the NH-U12P, it will be close the case is 170mm tall and the cooler is 158mm. Take into account the standoffs & motherboard it will be real close. The NH-U12P does cover the black RAM slot, the fan clips could get into the heatsink on the dominators, but monday I can snap a couple of good images for you showing what is covered and not.

The NH-C12P will fit for sure with the side cover on, and with the system laid down it would perform slightly better then in a standard case. Its way better then the stock cooler.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
raheel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by raheel »

bubba wrote:If your running it with the top cover off then they will all fit. Might get the side cover on with the NH-U12P, it will be close the case is 170mm tall and the cooler is 158mm. Take into account the standoffs & motherboard it will be real close. The NH-U12P does cover the black RAM slot, the fan clips could get into the heatsink on the dominators, but monday I can snap a couple of good images for you showing what is covered and not.

The NH-C12P will fit for sure with the side cover on, and with the system laid down it would perform slightly better then in a standard case. Its way better then the stock cooler.

Thank you will wait for your pictures.

Thanks
raheel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by raheel »

Any updates? :(
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Sorry yesterday was a madhouse for me.

Here are the pics, there is an upside. Since this is a HTPC that means it wont be moved a lot so one spring clip is enough to hold a fan on. So the RAM side clip can be left off.
Attachments
nh-u12p_5.jpg
nh-u12p_5.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
nh-u12p_4.jpg
nh-u12p_4.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
nh-u12p_3.jpg
nh-u12p_3.jpg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
nh-u12p_2.jpg
nh-u12p_2.jpg (18.53 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
nh-u12p_1.jpg
nh-u12p_1.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
-Thomas Jefferson
raheel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by raheel »

Thank you very much for pictures! that shows I can go for that cpu cooler with this board. will be tight fit but will work!

WIll order that cooler soon.

Thanks again!

:)
lusonico
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by lusonico »

gwolfman wrote:Wow, wasn't expecting the Titan to pull ahead. Interesting...
I can't Believe the Titan fenrir was not tested with a second fan blowing against th first one!

Do you see what i mean looking at the way the heat pipes are placed? :)

bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the site.

We only test the coolers as someone would buy them. There is no doubt that the coolers would be in a different order if the same fan was used, but a that way is not a good representation of what your buying.
-Thomas Jefferson
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Anyone know if the Fenrir can be installed with the fan in a North/South orientation instead of the traditional East/West?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Intel yes, AMD not sure.
-Thomas Jefferson