Hot Gaming Notebooks Get Air Conditioning

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hot Gaming Notebooks Get Air Conditioning

Post by Apoptosis »

The Dell M1710 notebook always got warm while gaming, but now that Intel has released the Core 2 Extreme Mobile Processor X7800 Processor and has embraced overclocking things have gotten a bit too hot. With processors 'throttling' while overclocked, something needed to be done, so Intel and Embarco teamed up to produce a docking station that is like a small air conditioner.

Article Title: Hot Gaming Notebooks Get Air Conditioning
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/567/1/
DIGG: http://digg.com/hardware/Hot_Dell_M1710 ... nditioning
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Hot Gaming Notebooks Get Air Conditioning

Post by HONkUS »

That's just retarded.

id be more in favor of making a heat pipe tower with a flexible joint so it could be attached to the back of the flat panel. Seems like it would be cheaper, use no power, and might even look cool if done right. This just looks ridiculous. If you can afford this thing and a laptop that might need one then chances are you have an uber desktop rig anyway. Plus its just one more thing to lug around. Am I missing something here?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Ditto, I would also be afraid of condensation.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I know this is all i ever seem to comment; but I wonder how much extra power that would use.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
patricksmangan
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by patricksmangan »

the article was posted in 2007. now I can't find this thing, or anything similar, anywhere to buy. any help = appreciated!

i skimmed through the article, so i probably missed this. does it have an extra vga or two? extra usb ports?

to the complaints about lugging it around, im gna personally all ways keep this where my old pc is now, ready for me to come home and stick my laptop on it. i am wondering about the complaint about condensation though, that is something to consider.

like i said, i can't find this to buy, but if someone or intel has put something like this to market, sign me up!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

patricksmangan wrote:the article was posted in 2007. now I can't find this thing, or anything similar, anywhere to buy. any help = appreciated!

i skimmed through the article, so i probably missed this. does it have an extra vga or two? extra usb ports?

to the complaints about lugging it around, im gna personally all ways keep this where my old pc is now, ready for me to come home and stick my laptop on it. i am wondering about the complaint about condensation though, that is something to consider.

like i said, i can't find this to buy, but if someone or intel has put something like this to market, sign me up!
I asked at last years IDF and was told the company never got enough venture capital or funds to start full develop of this product. I'll ask again tomorrow.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!