Ultra M998 Midsize Black Tower PC Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Ultra m998 is an all aluminum midtower with a classic styling on the outside, but is packed with new technology on the inside. The Ultra m998 offers 11 drive bays, along with front eSATA, Firewire, and USB audio ports all in a 1.5mm thick aluminum case. Is the M998 as tough as the military truck its named for? Read on to find out how the Ultra m998 does in our testing.

Article Title: Ultra M998 Midsize Black Tower PC Case Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/615/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $153 plus shipping
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ultra M998 Midsize Black Tower PC Case Review

Post by Apoptosis »

I really like the look of the case with a system installed.... The airflow and cooling looks like it would be good since the CPU Cooler blows right into the rear 120mm exhaust fan.

I don't get why it's called the m998 though as it doesn't look anything like a Hummer (m998)

DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I would have guessed because it is so wide?

Looks a nice case.

One thing the power rail will do is add more electrical connectors which will add resistance to the circuit and reduce efficiency. Granted it will be minimal, but I'd prefer to have as few 'breaks' in the cable as possible.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

If your worried about that Dan, you wouldn't be using a modular PSU. I actually like that Power Rail Design.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Tis true :rolleyes:

Though I am going modular-less in the near future, but not because that bothers me.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

what's this about pwning me by the way during finals. Hmm, guess the tables have turned :mrgreen:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I like the review. Good honesty.

While I understand the concept of the powerstrip and think it's kind of a good idea, I think it's wasted for most people. If you don't have a modular PSU (most people), you have 5 bazillion cables coming out of the PSU. Any unused cables are orphaned and are, for the most part, clutter. Clutter = reduced airflow = more heat = bad. So you would have the same number of cables coming from the PSU with or without the powerstrip and potentially adding more so there is no real benefit except for it may be a little more convenient. Now, if you have a modular PSU, it could cut down on the # of cables you need to use. I personally like modular PSU’s for a nice clean case.

The other thing I hate on case is the perceived need to cover up all of the posts/jacks/buttons etc with (usually flimsy) doors and panels. The doors just get in the way and are an inconvenience. They could make a more open design so the posts/jacks/buttons aren’t so gaudy – not that I think they are anyway. Maybe I lean towards function over form more than most.
Joe
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

dicecca112 wrote:what's this about pwning me by the way during finals. Hmm, guess the tables have turned :mrgreen:
Yeah, I thought that too when you first replied :finga:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

FZ1 wrote:I like the review. Good honesty.
Thank you :)

FZ1 wrote: While I understand the concept of the powerstrip and think it's kind of a good idea, I think it's wasted for most people. If you don't have a modular PSU (most people), you have 5 bazillion cables coming out of the PSU. Any unused cables are orphaned and are, for the most part, clutter. Clutter = reduced airflow = more heat = bad. So you would have the same number of cables coming from the PSU with or without the powerstrip and potentially adding more so there is no real benefit except for it may be a little more convenient. Now, if you have a modular PSU, it could cut down on the # of cables you need to use. I personally like modular PSU’s for a nice clean case.
The extra cable hiding and blocked air flow is a non issue with case (unless your using PATA cables for you drives) the extra width of the case makes a rather large dead space between the 5.25/3.5 bays and the right side panel, all kinds of space to hide stuff.

After staring at it some more if one didn't require 5 hard drives they could mount couple drives in the upper half of the case, completely remove the lower hard drive cage and slap a 120mm radiator in its place for a water setup.
Apoptosis wrote:I really like the look of the case with a system installed.... The airflow and cooling looks like it would be good since the CPU Cooler blows right into the rear 120mm exhaust fan.

I don't get why it's called the m998 though as it doesn't look anything like a Hummer (m998)
I don't get it either, I figured it was due to it being wide and boxy. As for liking it, its a love/hate thing right now.

Love the way it looks, its LIGHT (unlike a certain P190 that gives me a hernia every time I move it) its black can't go wrong with black, it goes with everything.

Hate it when I have to tear into it to change stuff around. Really thinking of dropping the lower cage all together, putting the drive in the Ultra drive cooler and mounting it up in the 5.25 bay. That will clear up alot of the issues I have with the case. :-k
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson