Intel Dual Core: Pentium EE 840 Arrives

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
deadly-app
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by deadly-app »

Yes apop, but I think I remember reading something about by clocking them lower, say 2.6 or so, they can drop the heat quite a bit, but still keep amazing performance due to the dual core. Also since I have a friend who is a huge CPU freak and hes going haywire over dc because it will reduce power usage and heat theoretically by 40%. I cant wait to see these things when they are perfected like the prescotts.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I cant wait to see these things when they are perfected like the prescotts.
hahah.....hahahahahahahaha
deadly-app
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by deadly-app »

Lol i know, when i read that I laughed at myself.

But you know what I mean, more perfected then they were when they first came out :P :P
Duke3d87
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Duke3d87 »

deadly-app wrote:Yes apop, but I think I remember reading something about by clocking them lower, say 2.6 or so, they can drop the heat quite a bit, but still keep amazing performance due to the dual core. Also since I have a friend who is a huge CPU freak and hes going haywire over dc because it will reduce power usage and heat theoretically by 40%. I cant wait to see these things when they are perfected like the prescotts.
It was me who said something similiar, but i think in my attempt to pass on a lot of information in a short amount of time (i got excited :mrgreen: ) i didnt really speak clearly over aim lol. I have to admit, Intel did drop the TDP of the 3.2 Prescotts in theory of 30% for the dual cores (TDP went from 84 to around 65ish watts), going to the 65nm process will help a lot more. Intel already has a mature 65nm process and it was estimated that because of strained silicon v.2, the power consumption would drop by about 40% and thats a pretty big difference. Some estimate that 65nm chips will use .7 watts. Being that overclockers.com is overclockers.com (negative and often carping) they look at it somewhat grimly, but being that i'm an optmist, i think this will help Intel a lot when it comes to dual core and being able to ramp the clock speed higher. BTW that mean that in theory, a 3.2 GHz dual core 840 if made in the 65nm process would operate at 78 watts.