AMD Announces Stream Computing Will Be Mainstream

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD has been talking about CPU and GPU 'fusion' for many months now as they believe using both a processor and a graphics card is the way of the future. Today that reality has come one step closer with the announcement of a new technology brand called ATI Stream. Read on to see what ATO Stream Technology is all about and what Radeon HD 4000 series owners will be getting for free.

Article Title: AMD Announces Stream Computing Will Be Mainstream
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/831/1/
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AMD Announces Stream Computing Will Be Mainstream

Post by Gomeler »

If I can use Avivo to convert my DVDs to H.264 encoded MP4s to stream over iTunes then I'll be happy. This is a step in the right direction at utilizing all those stream processors. The only way this would get better would be when Larrabee launches with it's hundreds of X86 cores 8)
3DMark06 Addict

DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Awesome! It's about time AMD had a CUDA alternative released ^_^

Also nice of them to go one step further than Nvidia and give away the video converter for free, I'll be sure to give that a whirl at some point (no doubt it will come in really handy when my Pandora arrives and i want to watch some video on it).

Does the fact that they have been partnering with adobe mean that CS4 support will be there when they release the stream enabled drivers?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The presentation was 49 slides long and I couldn't include them all, but here is the slide on Adobe since you asked about CS4.
amd_adobe.jpg
amd_adobe.jpg (122.3 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
AMD claims a 20% performance improvement with Adobe Acrobat 9 and has all the GPU-Acceleration that NVIDIA has to offer in CS4.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Thanks Nate,

This makes me so much happier knowing I'm not missing out if i ever decide to upgrade to CS4. :mrgreen:

Good job AMD!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

nope and to be honest I think AMD will eventually have more stream applications available as they are all open source and mainly using DirectX and and OpenCL DirectX Compute Shaders...

When companies have to spend money to port their applications over to enable streaming they won't be doing it for both standards, so in the end it must be either CUDA or a free open standard... Unless NVIDIA is going to pay companies to use CUDA (which they have thus far) it will will be interesting to see what happens in the next year.

With share prices of AMD at $2.30 for the low today and NVIDIA at $7.05 I can't see either being in a position to spend money for that in this economy.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

nice to see you also dont need a quadro to have the full gpu acceleration like nvidia requires!
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Interesting article.

Well, I'm happy about the Adobe integration, but it sucks that my 3850 is not supported. Could this be a way of forcing me to upgrade? Nahh....AMD/ATI wouldn't do that to us, right? :roll:

I am actually quite interested in seeing some benches on how this streaming process works on real conversion though.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
grndzro
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by grndzro »

Now ATI needs to kick F@H in the pants to fix their drivers to take advantage of 800 stream processors instead of 320.
Then I could get 5000ppd from an underclocked 4850.

This is great news from ATI. I really hope they can push the agenda forward so we can see improvements in all aspects of computing.