The Antec Performance TX1050B Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

You could also simply add a shi\eld or piece of plastic to guide the air. Some companies have come out with stuff like that, while not exactly a funnel or tube, are just a flat piece to push the air to one area of the board.
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

killswitch83 wrote:I'm hearing some kind comments about the 1050B, and I'm glad too because that's the exact case I want to use for my A64 build, as we all know that Athlons are heat monsters, but I'm not so sure with the 90nm rev. E though. As far as your concerns go with the CPU funnel, Antonik, there's always some experimentation available with that, such as extending the funnel with a short length of PVC or rubber tubing, personally I would go with the rubber as it's a lot easier to work with :)
I just took the funnel off, going to mount a 120mm fan in there instead ^_^ It should cool ram, and get the air moving inside the case.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Is the door on this case the same type/style as the one that is used on the Sonata (at least as far as its hinges and construction/durability are concerned)?

I'm beginning to like that Sonata II more and more. I have thought of some pretty sweet mods for the Sonata II case as well... *Evil Laugh*
Just wish my internship would pay more than about $3 an hour :cry:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Taking the tunnel off and mounting a 120mm fan is exactly what I did, and it works perfectly.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Oh really? That sounds pretty good, are you running an Athlon 64, Antonik? Because if you are, I am going to have to do that myself, as it sounds like that works better; thanks for the tip there :) ; also, I haven't had a good look at the Sonata 2 yet, guess I was gunning for the 1050B due to its size, durability, and the fact that it meets TAC standards...Think you could post a pic of that case for me, I would like to see it
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Full review on Sonata II HERE and the thread about it HERE :)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Hmm, considering that case is a bit cheaper than the 1050B, I believe I'll definitely consider that, but I would replace the PSU with the 500W that Antec has, since I plan on eventually running a high-end graphics card. I like the idea of taking the duct work off and mounting a 120mm fan in its place; it does look like that duct is space-consuming, though you have room for two fans in the duct. Still, the 120mm fan would be a lot quieter than the two you would put in the duct. The case is very stylish might I add, so I will definitely have to think about it. Guess you don't need a FS case for optimal cooling on heat monsters like AMD, eh?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

AMD's are not known to be heat monsters by any means. The K8's by far have the lowest power consumption between AMD and Intel. I think you're thinking of the Intel Prescott core as being heat monsters...
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050 ... is-15.html
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Wow, I didn't know the K8's actually had improved thermal properties; guess I was referring more to the K7's due to their small core. On stock cooling, they can tend to run a little warm even with AS5, but as it appears, the K8's have made a definite change for the better. Even with the NF4 Ultra chipset, you could probably squeeze by with a 350W PSU. Seems like I've really fallen out of loop since last I've done some major research. Guess it's a good thing I'm going back to school next month to continue my Computer Tech with Networking A.S. degree. I could definitely use the brush-up. But, believe me when I say I'll constantly refer to this forum for K8 and other info :mrgreen:
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

killswitch83 wrote:Oh really? That sounds pretty good, are you running an Athlon 64, Antonik? Because if you are, I am going to have to do that myself, as it sounds like that works better; thanks for the tip there :) ; also, I haven't had a good look at the Sonata 2 yet, guess I was gunning for the 1050B due to its size, durability, and the fact that it meets TAC standards...Think you could post a pic of that case for me, I would like to see it
yeah. CPU temps with the one rear 120mm fan, and stock heatsink are low 30s idle and high 30s/low 40s on heavy duty. Now if u add more fans like a 120mm in place of the duct, maybe add some artic silver and a nice heatsink (xp 90) I would'nt be suprised if it could run in the 20s.

The chipset on my dfi lanparty is different, temps are almost always 50C :*( but now that i moved my gfx card to the second pcie slot, it dropped like 1C.The fanslot intended for the vga is close enough to cool it, so it might help,too bad its only 82mm
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Man, that's pretty good for an AMD product, but I'm pretty sure you opted for the 90nm core, am I right? I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone here is running, and so far I like what I'm hearing about the A64 90nm core. Yeah, the XP-90 is nice it sounds like, and I'm still looking at options, but I might opt for the CNPS7700-Cu by Zalman, as it has the capacity to cool more than just the CPU. However, I've not gotten a good look at the XP-90, so I might just go ahead and see what we have. BTW, I'd like to see what kind of specs you have, if you don't mind, I could always use the advice from everyone, because when I go to build my A64 setup, it's gotta be big, and it's gotta be fast and stable. gvblake recommended a DTR A64 with the clawhammer core, but I might go universal and just get the regular A64, though the strained silicone process is looking good right now....hmm......
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

You should check out the XP-120 by Thermalright. It is the biggest and baddest air cooler on the market (in my opinion). It houses a 120mm fan and has a bunch of heatpipes andis big enough to cool your RAM and MOSFETS (and prettymuch anything within a few inches radius around the CPU socket). If you're looking for the best air cooler, I would suggest the Thermalright XP-120 with a good 120mmx38mm high pressure fan like the ones listed over at http://www.sidewindercomputers.com
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

killswitch83 wrote: gvblake recommended a DTR A64 with the clawhammer core, but I might go universal and just get the regular A64, though the strained silicone process is looking good right now....hmm......
Clawhammer is the old 754 platform, get a venice or winchester which are 939. And if you're into overclocking those tend to overclock verywell.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Antonik wrote:
killswitch83 wrote: gvblake recommended a DTR A64 with the clawhammer core, but I might go universal and just get the regular A64, though the strained silicone process is looking good right now....hmm......
Clawhammer is the old 754 platform, get a venice or winchester which are 939. And if you're into overclocking those tend to overclock verywell.
Yeah, I would suggest the same thing. It just sounded like you had your mind made up about getting a clawhammer, that's why I suggested a s754 setup. But if you can swing it, a s939 San Diego System would be ideal ;)