13 Intel Core i7 LGA 1366 CPU Coolers Compared

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

We have updated our Intel LGA 1366 CPU Cooler roundup to include new coolers from Cooler Master, Spire, Thermaltake, and Titan. Read on to see if the Noctua NH-U12P 1366SE CPU Cooler is still the cooling king or if it gets removed from the throne!

Article Title: 13 Intel Core i7 LGA 1366 CPU Coolers Compared
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/979/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: 13 Intel Core i7 LGA 1366 CPU Coolers Compared

Post by bubba »

DIGG please
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

$100+ for the Cooler Master almost makes water cooling look affordable. That things a beast!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

It's also as close to WC as you can get too(from the temps I saw around the net anyway). WC might be a little better on the cooling, but I'm sittin pretty at 4 Ghz and under Prime it never went over 76C for me on the V10..not bad if you ask me
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

bubba wrote:DIGG please
Dugg! I know this took some time to do! Nice job!

*Note to other readers -- if you took the time to look at the article, please support LR by digging the article. If you don't have a digg account, it is very easy to setup!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Too bad Intel is going to give the 920 and 940 lines the axe when the i5's come out...

I'm sure they will come out with a mounting bracket for these if one is needed though for the new socket.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Wow, wasn't expecting the Titan to pull ahead. Interesting...
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

I have two questions: (Both of which might be indicated by other articles - but are not obvious in this one)
1. Is your CPU a D0 stepping? or a C0/C1 stepping?
2. How are you getting a single temperature result? I have Core Temp 0.99.4 and it gives me 4 individual "core temps". So I might guess you're using a log file, but I'm really not sure....

I have a C0/C1 stepping 920. Which I'm running on an Asus P6T, with a Zalman CNPS9900/LED (- and using Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D memory). I had no issues running (20x180~3.6), so I decided to drop the CPU Ratio and raise the BCLK to 200. It ran stable at that speed, when loading just the CPU. But since I want to put the Video card under a heavy load I decided to back off a bit, so I have some "headroom".

The thing that puzzles me is that your "Idle" temps are lower than mine across the board. But my load temps are lower than about half of yours, using a program called OCCT (runs Linpack) for 3hr runs at 3.6GHz (18x200). Now I know there are a huge number of factors at play here. Still I'm trying to determine if it's really warranted for me to get a "better" cooling solution. Though I'd be really temped to go with water, if I did...
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

He has a C0/C1 stepping for sure....
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

As for the stepping I don't remember off hand I'll have to look at it, but I got it from Nate, its his, so I'm sure he knows whats where.

How I got the temps is the average of the 4 cores across 3 runs. To get my OC I change two settings, the host clock to 175 and the CPU voltage to 1.25v. In both cases OC'd and not OC'd "turbo" option is disabled, and HT is on.

To load the cores I use Prime95 64bit and run the blended test for 30mins, record all the temps with Coretemp.

There are couple things that will affect cooling numbers, main one being the thermal paste properly cured AS5 will be better on the high end then the ceramique we use for the testing. We use the ceramique due to it not having a cure time, if I had to wait 200hrs for AS5 to cure ](*,) this is why we compare back to stock so there is a common base point for comparing.

From there what affects temps is case, what else is in it, its venting, room temp, yada yada...
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

Doh! I discovered why my "load temps" were LOW! I had unchecked "Hyperthreading" support. When I left it checked and ran OCCT, the CPU rapidly overheated as everything really was at 100%. No harm done, because it shut down the test automatically. But I do know that I'll need a better cooling solution. #-o

I wonder if the Coolit Domino ALC would fit in the back of my CoolerMaster HAF 932? Yeah I guess it will! But I've heard that by the end of the month Corsair will be coming out with something similar, in the same price range. What do you guys think?
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yeah the Domino will fit in the HAF, from the things I have heard you might want to wait to see the Corsair.

Until then, unless you really need it, disable the HT it does make everything run WAY cooler.

Oh, I double checked the stepping on the 920 I use, it is the C0/C1 stepping.
Attachments
oc_cpuz.jpg
oc_cpuz.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 8019 times
-Thomas Jefferson
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

I can currently get the Domino for $71.25 (with free shipping), but I think I have to wait for the Corsair H50 to be available. I mean the Domino does have features like multi-fan modes and the LCD. But real performance is what I need.... oh and I have to figure out some kind of internal fan bracket so I can cool the memory and CPU socket area. :-k

In the mean time, I've backed my CPU down to 3GHz. I sure expected the Zalman to do better than this... but that's what I get for not investigating it more closely. #-o
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

Ok, I should probably take a chill pill... but my brain doesn't stop. So I have to ask a completely different question. Is the V10 really good? And if it is, can I modify it so I can support it? (I don't want it warping my motherboard!) Also do you think it will fit over the top of Corsair Dominator modules on a P6T? (The side that sticks out...) 8-[
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

the v10 is excellent. can go up to 4 ghz before going nutty on temps. full load(prime95, LinX) it can go up to 80C depending on climate. but if you're just gaming like I usually do , then you won't break 60C rarely if ever. It's mounting bracket definitely supports it nicely and evenly so I wouldn't worry about the warping. I worried bout it at first but it's not an issue(so far anyway lol) and fitting Dominators underneath is not an issue. My temps come from my lcd readout since I believe hardware readings are more accurate. it is what shuts the rig down afterall if too hot. Using CoreTemp/RealTemp was around 10C higher on the same readout for me, so if you use those progs I thought you should know in case you saw higher numbers
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

The V10 is nice, but its expensive. Is it worth the extra cash ?? depends on how hard and high you want to push your OC. If your going mild then get one of the other coolers, if your going nutty get the V10. That is if your sticking with air.

If you're still kicking the idea of water around I'd turn the HT off and set at a mild OC and save up for the water parts.
-Thomas Jefferson
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

Well first I remounted the Zalman 9900 with Arctic Silver 5. Next I installed a 120mm fan in the lower portion of my 5.25" bay (pulling air from the front of the case). Then I actually set my voltages instead of letting the board set them for me. So with Vcore, an VTT, set to 1.2875v and my VDimm set to 1.66v (because it goes in .02v increments) - I can run OCCT with Hyperthreading turned on, and while the temps rise to ~75°C, on the hottest core, everything remains stable at 3.6GHz (20x180). And while I did get a C0/C1 core this time around I got a decent one. Now I'm motivated to use this CPU, motherboard, and memory combo to upgrade my secondary system. And build a second Core i7 rig...

Except this time I'm going with a D0 core 920, a Prolimatech Megahalems cooler with dual fans, faster 1866MHz Dominator memory, and an EVGA X58 Classified (E760) motherboard. .... yes! I probably am crazy. But I look at it as doing my part to "stimulate the World Economy". I'll most likely water cool both systems eventually. But first I'll try the Megahalems cooler on this board (P6T) first, so I can compare it directly to the Zalman.

As for the CoolIt Domino ALC, and the Corsair Hydro Series H50, ... I'm going to have to pass. I've read too many reports of over-clocked Core i7s overwhelming small radiators. And while I may end up passing the Zalman CNPS9900LED off to a friend. It made more sense to get another good Air Cooling solution than take a chance with those "low cost" water cooling solutions. And I'll be honest here, I read a "user review" of the Domino ALC where the guy claims that a fitting broke and "hosed" his GTX260 video card. This is simply a risk I'm unwilling to take. IMHO it's a far different matter when I select the parts and assemble them. There is simply too much variability in the modern manufacturing process to be able to trust a company to always "do it right". And while I can "afford" to buy premium parts, like that "Classified" board, I cannot afford to "replace" expensive parts because of an accident.
raheel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by raheel »

Hello,

Can anyone help me.... I am looking for good cpu cooler for my system but after reading your great review I am still bit confused... :(

I have following

i7 950
Intel dx58so
Corsair DOMINATOR TR3X6G1600C8D

So which cooler will fit in my system??? in your review you show pictures with value memory but not any such as Corsair DOMINATOR.

Can you please adivse or can post some pictures to show how can one of the tested coolers will fit with Corsair DOMINATOR.

Thanks!
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

For our testing we will be using the Intel DX58SO motherboard. After installing a couple of the coolers in the round up a pattern started to appear. All of the coolers, except the NF-C12P, blocked at least 1 of the four RAM slots on the motherboard from being able to hold tall RAM. Some of you would have a hard time getting a stick of value RAM in, but you're thinking, “Well I’ll be running triple channel kits, I won’t need the fourth slot.”
Looks like the nf-c12p won't block a memory slot
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

raheel wrote:Hello,

Can anyone help me.... I am looking for good cpu cooler for my system but after reading your great review I am still bit confused... :(

I have following

i7 950
Intel dx58so
Corsair DOMINATOR TR3X6G1600C8D

So which cooler will fit in my system??? in your review you show pictures with value memory but not any such as Corsair DOMINATOR.

Can you please adivse or can post some pictures to show how can one of the tested coolers will fit with Corsair DOMINATOR.

Thanks!
Which coolers are you interested in? If you let us know a few of them we can tell you if they will work or not.
Follow Me on Twitter!