Leadtek PxVC1100 MPEG-2/H.264 Transcoding Card

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leadtek PxVC1100 MPEG-2/H.264 Transcoding Card

Post by Apoptosis »

The WinFast PxVC1100 is an MPEG-2/H.264 transcoding card developed by Leadtek and features the Toshiba high-performance stream processor SpursEngine. The WinFast PxVC1100 has four Synergistic Processing Element (SPE) cores based on the "Cell Broadband Engine”. Read on to see how this single slot PCI-Express based low profile card does on our Intel Core i7 system!

Compared to even the latest CPU and Graphics hardware, the Spurs Engine held its own. Though testing different encoding/transcoding types and programs can be quite a headache, it’s easy to see that the WinFast PxVC1100 is an MPEG-2/H.264 transcoding card can benefit those who do large amounts of this type of work. While there are only a couple of different formats to be used, they process very quickly and have outstanding quality. I have seen a lot of questions about taking SD quality video and converting to an HD format and most are answered with “don’t waste your time because it will be the same quality.” Well with the Spurs Engine, that answer can be thrown out. While taking SD quality video and reaching the quality of an original HD source would be impossible, the content was very clearly much higher quality than the source. Best of all was that this process was quick, encoding at about 20% faster than real time playback...

Article Title: Leadtek PxVC1100 MPEG-2/H.264 Transcoding Card
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1134/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
jnanster
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Leadtek PxVC1100 MPEG-2/H.264 Transcoding Card

Post by jnanster »

Very useful card
BUT
has an 80ish dollar look, not $250.
Newegg doesn't carry it anymore, not good.
ga-z77-dh3 (great & cheap O/C'er from Gigabyte)
i2600k/16 gigs Kingson 1600 (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + (lapped, smok'in deal, 38C idle, 65C loaded)
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
Antec 900 case (quiet)
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

What about an addenda to the article. A 250$ CUDA compatible card with badaboom (or other compatible cuda encoding software) vs. WinTV.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Calamar wrote:What about an addenda to the article. A 250$ CUDA compatible card with badaboom (or other compatible cuda encoding software) vs. WinTV.
Nice faceoff there, I be the cuda could beat it.

Btw, I'm guessing the HD upconverted image was the bottom picture and the SD was the top?
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Oh, yeah, I forgot to quote the best line of your article.
As you can see it’s quite small, but as with most ________ these days, big performance lies in small packages!
That's what she said...
barong
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by barong »

I own this card, and up to present, I am still looking & hoping that other vendors eg; ahead nero, cyberlink, + Others will support cell processor in their future products. I am sure there are still a lot of works from Leadtek to promote this excellent piece of hardware (with least software vendor support - unfortunately).

I advise you readers not to get the version with Ulead DVD / Ulead video studio 11.5 bundle because these applications are not robust to start off with and crashes very often & easily expecially when it handles videos with third party H.264 codecs (Xvid).
The TMPEG cell processors plugin can be purchased separately for users @ http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html who opt to replace the Ulead software bundle version with TMPEG.

My PC setup
- AMD Phenom X4 9600 (2.3Ghz)
- 4GB DDR 2 RAM
- Abit AX78
- Leadtek Geforce PX9600GT with CUDA driver ver6.14.11.9038
- Leadtek PxVC1100
- Creative Xfi-Xtreme
- 2x500GB HDD SATA2
- WinXP sp2

Use CUDA / VISION based CGPU for your transcoding until there are multiple vendors (especially Leadtek) support for all their existing PxVC1100 MPEG-2/H.264 Transcoding Card users with better plug ins readily to download and update. check the latest and I am still looking where to get this seemingly promising CRI Dual-CS Coder , plug in for Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 /CS4. got the idea ... ?