OCZ Vertex 2 Pro 100GB SandForce 1500 SSD Preview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

OCZ has been busy working on their next generation SSD products, and rather than using last year's Indilinx Barefoot controller they found a new controller series that they liked from an upcoming SSD controller company called SandForce. Read on to see how the Vertex 2 Pro performs against an Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD!

The OCZ Vertex Series of Solid-State Drives (SSDs) has been without a doubt one of the most successful SSDs released by any manufacturer. When we reviewed the original Vertex 120GB drive in April 2009 we found it to be an amazing SSD that was one of the first on the market that had the ability to do garbage collection and TRIM. It was truly a drive that was better than much of the competition and even today it is a solid performing drive thanks to the Indilinx Barefoot controller. OCZ has been busy working on their next generation SSD products, and rather than using last year's Indilinx Barefoot controller they found a new controller series that they liked from an upcoming SSD controller company called SandForce. OCZ has been testing the SandForce SF-1200 and SF-1500 controllers for months internally and last month during CES they made the formal announcement that OCZ would be bringing out the Vertex 2 series of SSDs using these two new controllers.

Article Title: OCZ Vertex 2 Pro 100GB SandForce 1500 SSD Preview
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1208/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: OCZ Vertex 2 Pro 100GB SandForce 1500 SSD Preview

Post by gwolfman »

Wow, $100 more just for the 1500 controller, that's crazy expensive. Granted I think it was designed for enterprise applications (w/ SLC) where price isn't so important, but still. Looks like I'll stick with Vertex 1's.

Btw, you should have included Vertex 1 comparisons as well as the Intel drive for comparison. We already know that OCZ's SSD work quite differently than Intel's.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

gwolfman wrote:Wow, $100 more just for the 1500 controller, that's crazy expensive. Granted I think it was designed for enterprise applications (w/ SLC) where price isn't so important, but still. Looks like I'll stick with Vertex 1's.

Btw, you should have included Vertex 1 comparisons as well as the Intel drive for comparison. We already know that OCZ's SSD work quite differently than Intel's.
I was going to until I heard the Vertex 2 Pro is never coming out... Why benchmark more for a product that never gets out of the gate? I basically stopped what I was doing and posted what I had done.

I have some more SandForce stuff in the works, so I'll see if I can re-bench the Vertex with the latest drivers.
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Ok, thanks. But I thought you had previous results from the Vertex 1 in another article; you could have easily included those, right?

Regardless, it's one of the first (p)reviews of this drive I've seen on the net. Thanks! I greatly appreciate the work; I don't mean to sound naggy/nitpicky.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The testing for this review was done on a brand new test system that I just built a couple weeks ago. It's 100% new.

to summarize:

The old test system was using Windows Vista 64-bit and didn't have SATA 6Gbps

The new test system is using Windows 7 64-bit and has SATA 6Gbps
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Got it. My bad :oops:

As always, cheers. :partyman: