ASUS G73Jh DX11 Gaming Notebook Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

ASUS G73Jh DX11 Gaming Notebook Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Today we take an in-depth look at the ASUS G73Jh. Featuring the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 mobile GPU, mobile gamers once again have an offering of top-of-the-line graphics performance in a notebook. Paired with an Intel Core i7 720QM mobile CPU, the G73Jh offers some serious performance both for gamers and video encoders. Throw in a 17.3" Full HD display and you are probably wondering what the price tag is... That's the best part!

ASUS has once again produced a solid mobile system with the G73Jh. With the size and weight of a gaming notebook with a 17.3" screen, solid construction is a must in order for the consumer to feel confident their investment is going to last. ASUS has constantly excelled in this arena and the G73Jh is no exception. We are very impressed with the price versus performance of the ASUS G73Jh. For $1599 at the time of writing, you get a top-of-the-line ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 GPU, an Intel Core i7 720QM CPU and a 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080 resolution display for on-the-go gaming. Paired with a Blu-Ray combo drive, 8GB RAM and large storage, not only is this a gaming notebook, but it is a video transcoding power house, especially when using applications that utilize ATI's Stream technology to do the encoding. While this Republic of Gamers notebook did not come with a carrying case or the Eee Stick, we feel excluding those items is probably when helped keep the price point identical to that of the G51Vx which came in a 15" screen package...
Article Title: ASUS G73Jh DX11 Gaming Notebook Review - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1248/1/
Pricing At Time of Print:
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
dramsey
Legit User
Legit User

Re: ASUS G73Jh DX11 Gaming Notebook Review

Post by dramsey »

I'd like to read the review, but Firefox keeps throwing up a "Reported attack page!" warning...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

go to http://www.legitreviews.com and go ahead and read the page...

It's just a lingering side effect of the OpenX exploit we had over the weekend that I posted about here - http://www.legitreviews.com/news/7632/

The server is malware free as I deleted the OpenX install, killed the database and started from scratch.

For some reason the front page, news pages and forums are not blocked by google and only the article pages are... funny thing is that the OpenX ad server that was at fault ran ads on all the site... I don't get it and I hope Google figures it out soon.
Follow Me on Twitter!
danimoth17
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by danimoth17 »

What is the ram speed in it? You mention multiple times ddr3 667 and once you say its running at ddr3 1333.
According to Asus, the Laptop has a choice of ddr3 1066 or 1333 mhz up to 8gb total.
ckthecerealkiller
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ckthecerealkiller »

danimoth17 wrote:What is the ram speed in it? You mention multiple times ddr3 667 and once you say its running at ddr3 1333.
According to Asus, the Laptop has a choice of ddr3 1066 or 1333 mhz up to 8gb total.
Well seeing as I have never even seen a ddr3 667 sodimm it must be ddr3 1333. Of course, Nate, could you please clarify for us.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

The 8GB of RAM was running at 1333MHz. The reference to 667MHz is 1333/2 and is really referring to the same thing just depending on how the system reports the speed by taking into account the dual data rate (DDR) or not. Sorry for the confusion.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
rmalinosky
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by rmalinosky »

Oh ASUS!...Why USB 2.0?
m1e2e3
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by m1e2e3 »

I was reading this review and i came across this statement:
"upgrade to the next generation of ATI Mobility GPUs"
So I immediately took out my screwdriver and opened my laptop.

Lenovo Ideapad Y460
Intel Core i5 540M 2.53GHz 3.05GHz(Turbo)
4GB DDR3-1066
Intel GMA HD
ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 1GB with ATI switchble graphics

Apparently, found the Radeon soldered to the motherboard...
Was originally thinking of upgrading it.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Yeah, not ever notebook has an MXM slot and even if they do it still doesn't mean that you can upgrade... It's tricky trying to update a notebook!
Follow Me on Twitter!
m1e2e3
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by m1e2e3 »

Yeah, Quite true...
Anyways, I thought some people might want to know the performance, so i ran the heaven benchmarks.
Can be found here
http://forums.legitreviews.com/post170303.html#p170303
ATI Premium Graphics
Jugin
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Jugin »

i just got the Asus G73jh referb from Best Buy 2 days before xmas. :partyman: I honestly dont know what to think about it. I play lots of games Wow, Modwarfare 2, l4d2, and others. i have a Asus essential desktop 5290, and my concern is i have the Geforce 260 gtx in my computer and it runs everything significantly better. I understand its a laptop and it wont run as good as a PC but looking at the specs their very comparable. So is their anything i can do to make the over all system run better? I updated the bios(211) and already did a system restore to have the os and everything on one partition hdd instead of the factory 2 partition ( I Think it makes programs run faster.) So i was wondering on wow i get like 30-45 fps on ultra and im kind of dumb founded (my 260 gtx gets 60 everywhere). So is their anything i can do to increase performance in wow and other games? Point being i bought this gaming laptop to game(on good settings) and im kind of at a loss of words with its performace.