The Vapochill Micro Cooler Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Vapochill Micro Cooler Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Today, Legit Reviews takes a look at the Vapochill Micro, an air cooled solution for CPU's. Utilizing heatpipe technology, variable speed fans, and the same coolant found in their phase change coolers, the Vapochill Micro features easy installation, super light weight, and the promise of 150W of heat dissipation.
I have to say that I found the Vapochill Micro to be an outstanding product. Not only did it obliterate the stock AMD cooling solution, but the temperatures produced by the Extreme and High End models were on par with both water cooling kits I use on my system, at least at stock speeds.

Article Link: The Vapochill Micro Cooler Review
Pricing Link: Current Pricing
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should I Get It Or Not?

Post by DMB2000uk »

Ok so I've had my eye on the Vapochill Micro since before before it came out. Now there have been some decent reveiws (Thanks Legit!). I am happy to buy it. I just have one reservation.

Currently the only intake fan for my system is the stock CPU cooler with a huge tube on it (see picture below):

With the cover on it looks like this:

Ive chucked an Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer on the graphics card, its nothing special just a X700pro, which ive overclocked the core to XT standards (the memory is 25mhz off, thinking about getting some RAM-sinks for it to be a proper XT :P ) And the dodgy black thing that is in the left bottom corner is a PCI fan i took the bracket off, and its now proped, different to the picture, sorta cooling the HDD's.

So anyway, modding aside, my real question is this: If i get this cooler will the lack of 'fresh' air into the case be a performance hit? Its running a 820 pentium D at the moment, which runs about 37oC-ish under normal usage. I dont really want to cut the case at the moment (to install a system fan) or get another case.

Any opinions? Ta, in advance.
Last edited by DMB2000uk on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

You would have to remove the ducting to give the vapochill enough clearnace....its fairly tall. I'd recommend modding that case a bit by mounting a 120mm fan on the door (thats what I did to my case. you always want fresh air coming in.... a typical air cooled solution is going to run your processor 10-15C above ambient temperatures, and if the inside of your case is already running warm, it just adds to your system temps
Last edited by LVCapo on Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I figured i would have to take the ducting off. :)

Short of drilling a 120mm fan to the case door, is there a less permanant method of attaching it that wont 'damage' the actual case in any way? Say like sellotape :shock: lol.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

How big is the mounting system for the duct? On my Antec case, I took the duct off and mounted a 120mm using long screws and some washers. By looking at your case I think you should be able to do the same with at least a 92mm fan.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Excellent review!! When i first saw this cpu cooler in maximum pc i thought it was a deaktop fan, then i kept readin that it was a cpu cooler and wondered how the heck is that suppose to be a cpu cooler. Thank you for your review i now get it!! I never before did see that metal plate that it goes on. LOL

BTW love the hijacked kingston mouse from quakecon05!!!! Kristin (Dragon_Slayer) and i were the first to get one, they rock for standard ball mice!!
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

hi ya cap-man, lol, thanks for clearing that one up for me, I know we've talked about this before, and this review definitely cleared it all up. I know my cooling route for right now, for the price and reliability, will be the VCM. However, while I have this solution, I'll be saving for an Exos2, heheh, then it's fun time!!! :mrgreen:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I fired up the 120 I have mmounted on my test bench and have it blowing through the VCM, and it fropped the temps another 2C, not too bad..... here is a thought, you can turn the VCM fan controller down pretty far and still get good temps if you have good air flow, or have a side mounted 120mm blowing over it.
I also think them using a 120mm fan would have made a huge difference in the overall performance of this kit
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Should I Get It Or Not?

Post by gvblake22 »

DMB2000uk wrote:So anyway, modding aside, my real question is this: If i get this cooler will the lack of 'fresh' air into the case be a performance hit? Its running a 820 pentium D at the moment, which runs about 37oC-ish under normal usage. I dont really want to cut the case at the moment (to install a system fan) or get another case.

Any opinions? Ta, in advance.
I'd say without modding, you can mount a 120mm fan on the outside of the case side panel right over the mesh vent. Just use some double sided tape on the hub and the corners of the fan so that it blows into the vent. Then you can have the regular fan mounted on the Vapochil micro. I would also suggest installing a rear exhaust fan in the back, top of your case if you have not already done so, that will help get rid of some of the excess heat in your case.
It's probably not the answer you were looking for and it won't look pretty, but it would work. But honestly, you may not even need the fan on the side. If the vent is open and the fan on the vapochill micro is right underneath it, it will pull in a lot of air through the passive vent. Just make sure you have the exhaust fan in the back.

Hopefully I'm kindof, maybe, sorta addressing your problem, it's kindof hard to imagine you situation :shrug:

EDIT: CRAP, just noticed you don't even have a mount for a rear exhaust fan! I've never EVER seen a case like this, that sucks. I'd say whip out the dremel and go to town on the back of your case! HAHAHA :P
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

haha i love the scotch tape :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Might be time for a new case.
Just remember what I said about coolers not being magical....they cannot cool your system below the cases ambient temps, and most air coolers are going to do no better than 10-15C above your case temperature
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

what's with the angle? seems kinda awkward.

great review :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

They put the angle on it to blow over the board.... like the added benefit of the XP-120, it doesn't just cool the CPU but also cools the mosfets, ram, chipset, etc.
Ive been using it on my test bench all day while writing a memory review, and its a great cooler. I have the fan about mid range, and its silent compared to the 120mm on the Tech Station, CPU is at 34C with the CPU at 295x8