Unlocking The AMD Radeon HD 6950 to 6970 - BIOS Flash Guide

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
zoniezx6
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Unlocking The AMD Radeon HD 6950 to 6970 - BIOS Flash Gu

Post by zoniezx6 »

Apoptosis wrote:If you'd like to remove your HSF and post pictures of your video card front and back I'm sure we will be able to help you out.

With so many versions and revisions we really need to see pictures.
Much to my surprise, I received a response from ASUS.

“Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
It's a non-reference card.

Best Regards,

Jerry

ASUS Customer Service”

Hopefully this will be a help to others.

I would not flash this card, however with GPU-Z “latest version” it is possible to change the stream processing units (shaders) to 1536 and this cards GPU can be overclocked to 950MHz (or close to it anyway), leaving you with a 6950 equal to or maybe better than a 6970 without flashing.

If I break 950Mhs, which I think I can, I will post again with the info. I suspect the fans will need to be swapped out but we will see.
zoniezx6
Legit User
Legit User

Post by zoniezx6 »

Much to my surprise, I received a response from ASUS.

“Dear Valued Customer,

Best Regards,

Jerry

ASUS Customer Service”

I would not flash this card, however with GPU-Z “latest version” it is possible to change the stream processing units (shaders) to 1536 and this cards GPU can be overclocked to 950MHz (or close to it anyway), leaving you with a 6950 equal to or maybe better than a 6970 without flashing.

If I break 950Mhs, which I think I can, I will post again with the info. I suspect the fans will need to be swapped out but we will see.
zoniezx6
Legit User
Legit User

Post by zoniezx6 »

zoniezx6 wrote:Much to my surprise, I received a response from ASUS.

“Dear Valued Customer,

Best Regards,

Jerry

ASUS Customer Service”

SinnerSmile wrote:Hello dudes, a few month (maybe 3-4) ago i was interesting in this subject, mostly on Ru forums (kinda THG) and truly im tired cos nobody seems just don't have enough knowledge or exp about this card overlocking.
the poin is, that I'm talking not about 1st rev of 6950 2gb (inf about its overlocking to 6970 easy to find), I'm talking bout kinda 2nd revision (perhaps its the same one type of card, that was mentioned in this post's overlocking review, as 2nd 6950 card, that truly wasn't participating in test) i have exactly this videocard(from HIS). it contain one cooler at the middle of the card and no BIOS switch (but there is kinda points on exact plate for 1 n 2 BIOS but just without switch). is that possible to overlock this card to 6970, someone done it? where can i read bout it? is cards new middle cooler cool it enough?
And finaly what bout that memory burning?
as i understand, memory speed and voltage, that can burn it, is not so important for performance, then, where i can read how to unlock everythin from 6970, excluding that memory things.
Hope for your help and understanding.
SinnerSmile
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by SinnerSmile »

zoniezx6 Thank you. As i understand your video has 2 coolers? I have only one on my.
Anyway.. you have unlocked shaders and overlock GPU frequency with GPU-Z? Everything works well? The only thing that u have now not the same as 6970 is mem speed and voltage, am i right, or mistaken?