AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
ColdPlay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card Review

Post by ColdPlay »

Thx for a nice review! Been looking forward to some new GPU action, and finally!!!
KickAss card! would love to have one, but hoping for prices to drop quickly, I'll sit on my MSI 6950 tf II till I can afford a new build! (if ever, lol)
Was hoping for some more juice through the PCI-E 3.gen, so that was a bit disapointing.
Always nice to see AMD kick some NvidiaButt, for how long will be interesting to see.

Sweeeet overclocking job you did there! Awesome! And I read over at http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/14 ... 0#pagehead , that by replacing the colingpaste , the load temp dropped 10 degrees! ( noticed after replacing the cooler )

Ps! I f you are out of use for that card, or are in shortage of storing, I could hold on to it for you for free :partyman:

Yours sencierly; ColdPlay
In GRAW2 : stand still and "I will try to 'fix' you" ;-)
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Well since Nvidia is making the CUDA compiler open source, hopefully we'll see CUDA programs that also work on AMD cards.

Source: http://developer.nvidia.com/content/cud ... ce-release
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

This is what AMD does best , eating the competition out alive .
Great review man , i have never seen such a review for some time ... It lacks one thing and that is the "iforgotwhatitscalledsyndrome" test used in the Llano vs Intel APU shootout or the Brazos vs something else
notarat
Legit User
Legit User

Post by notarat »

I got the reference Sapphire 7970 and I'm loving it so far.

I was able to overclock it to the max in CCC and it is running Rift better on my U3011 than my Xfired 6970s ever did.

Skyrim looks awesome and runs smooth as silk now, though I do not play it much because I am too busy playing Rift.
Corsair Obsidian 800D -- Intel 2600K @4.8GHz -- Corsair H80 Cooler -- 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 -- Corsair AX850 PSU -- Crucial M4 256GB SSD -- (2) XFX Brand AMD Radeon 6970s in Xfire -- (3) WD Caviar Black 2TB HDDs -- Dell U3011 LCD

Corsair Carbide 400 -- Intel 2500K @4.8GHz -- Corsair H80 Cooler -- 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 -- Corsair TX650 PSU -- Crucial M4 256GB SSD -- XFX Brand AMD Radeon 6850 -- (3) WD Caviar Black 2TB HDDs -- Dell 2408FWP LCD
mukit
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mukit »

Hi,
i have a question about overclocking the amd radeon 7970 card.I am new to overclocking so I dont know so much about it.My question is on this page http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1805/14/ you have mentioned about new bios and winflash.What does it mean?If I use this tool and flash the old bios with the new one,will i be able to overclock upto 1165 mhz.On the page you said we can overclock to 2000 mhz.Than you said you cant go higher than 1170?what does it mean?..lol..and you said we could see the artifacts on the benchmarks?....what does that mean?..i am a total noob about overclocking....I have another question about using 6 monitors..my amd 7970 card has a dvi port,a hdmi port and 2 mini display ports...so i can only use 4 molnitors..but i want to use 6 monitors.. i have heard about the daisy chain technology..but i dont know how to use it...my monitors are samsung s23a750d,,,they have display ports and hdmi ports..so monitors are not the problem.........is there any hub for the displayports?...if i use two 7970 cards will i be able to use my 6 monitors?/////...your help will be appriciated extremely.
thnx in advance
mukit
mukit
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mukit »

I am also very nterested in hdmi cabling as they are the best..so if i connect the gfx card dvi port with a dvi to hdmi cable..and connect other end to one monitor....connect the hdmi port of the card with a hdmi to hdmi cable and connect the other end to my 2nd monitor...and use this hub..http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-Technologi ... K40J...and connect it with one of the display port of the card using a mini displayport to mini display port cable(as the hub and the card both have mdp inputs)..and then connect the 4 mdp's on the hub with 4 mdp to hdmi ..and connect the other 4 ends of the hdmi to my last 4 monitors...would it do the work??//....i think i have done all this research in vain..lmao..:)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

mukit wrote:Hi,
i have a question about overclocking the amd radeon 7970 card.I am new to overclocking so I dont know so much about it.My question is on this page http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1805/14/ you have mentioned about new bios and winflash.What does it mean?If I use this tool and flash the old bios with the new one,will i be able to overclock upto 1165 mhz.On the page you said we can overclock to 2000 mhz.Than you said you cant go higher than 1170?what does it mean?..lol..and you said we could see the artifacts on the benchmarks?....what does that mean?..i am a total noob about overclocking....I have another question about using 6 monitors..my amd 7970 card has a dvi port,a hdmi port and 2 mini display ports...so i can only use 4 molnitors..but i want to use 6 monitors.. i have heard about the daisy chain technology..but i dont know how to use it...my monitors are samsung s23a750d,,,they have display ports and hdmi ports..so monitors are not the problem.........is there any hub for the displayports?...if i use two 7970 cards will i be able to use my 6 monitors?/////...your help will be appriciated extremely.
mukit
I did this review using the AMD reference design card. The reference design is something add-in board (AIB) partners like ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire and XFX base their designs off of. Usually companies never use the exact reference design. On the AMD Radeon HD 7970 reference design card we found that AMD was using a BIOS that had clock frequencies that didn't allow for much overclocking. We asked AMD to get a better BIOS and they sent us one over. That is why we flashed the card. Most AIB cards have increased the frequency range, so you don't need to flash.With the new BIOS the core clock range went up to 2000MHz, which is well beyond what this card will ever be able to run. Think of it like a car having a speedometer that goes up to 300 MPH, but the car can never go that fast in reality.

Artifacts in benchmarks are a result of when an overclock is unstable. They can look like this:

They might not happen in all games and benchmarks, but if it does it shows the overclock isn't stable.

Also, your Radeon HD 7970 can support six monitors if you use the mini-Display Port connectors and daisy chain three monitors off each one.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
mukit
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mukit »

thnx a lot for your reply:)
so i have to connect one monitor with a display port connector from the gfx card?..and than connect the monitor with another monitor using an hdmi(cuz i like hdmi more)...than connect the 2nd monitor with the 3rd one again by using an hdmi?///is this how daisy chain works?///i also want to add that my monitors have display ports..not mini display ports..so i will have to connect my 1st monitor with gfx card using a mdp to dp connector....so will it work f i connect the monitors in this method?...and my overclocking limit is 1165 mhz?...my card is sapphire amd radeon 7970 oc edition..so will i be able to get it up to 1165 mhz and memory to 1625MHz?//..:O
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you can only do it with DisplayPort, you can adapt a mini-DisplayPort to a full size with an adapter and then from monitor to monitor you can use normal ones.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!