Intel LGA2011 CPU Cooler Roundup For Sandy Bridge-E CPUs

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel LGA2011 CPU Cooler Roundup For Sandy Bridge-E CPUs

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel LGA2011 CPU Cooler Roundup For Sandy Bridge-E Processors

Today we have a roundup of 9 CPU coolers, both water and air, for the new Intel LGA2011 socket. Coolers that we will be looking at came in from Coolink, Corsair, Intel, Noctua, NZXT, and Zalman. These coolers range in price for the budget minded and over $100 for enthusiasts. Join us and see how all the coolers stack up and handle the new Intel Core i7-3960X processor. We will declare a winner based on both price and performance.

Article URL: Intel LGA2011 CPU Cooler Roundup For Sandy Bridge-E CPUs
Pricing At Time of Print: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1801/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel LGA2011 CPU Cooler Roundup For Sandy Bridge-E CPUs

Post by Major_A »

LOL, thanks for the shot of the Noctua next to a Dr. Pepper can. That really puts things into perspective. If you still have the coolers can you take a shot of the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 next to the Zalman CNPS 12X? Reason I ask is it's hard to get a perspective on things. I just got an Agility 3 and I forgot how small a 2.5" drive is, even though I'm already running a few.

If you had to choose would you go with the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE? I was really impressed with the results of the Phanteks when you guys reviewed it. I also like the looks of the Phanteks better than the brown and maroon motif of Noctua.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I haven't put the Phanteks on the new system yet, but they are very similar to one another. Pure guestimation the gap between them I doubt would be extreme, 1-2 degrees, 3 tops.

They are both monsters.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Satirelol
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Satirelol »

uh.. isn't the only difference between the SE2011 and previous Noctua the fact that SE2011 has PWM controlled fans and the other doesn't? how does that have any impact on performance
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Satirelol wrote:uh.. isn't the only difference between the SE2011 and previous Noctua the fact that SE2011 has PWM controlled fans and the other doesn't? how does that have any impact on performance
This is probably more about the quiet and power savings when the cpu is at idle/throttled
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Satirelol
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Satirelol »

No I'm talking about raw temperature performance, which shows the older one falling behind
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yes the NH-D14 and the NH-D14 SE2011 are the same base cooler design with different fans.

From the specs of the fans they are the same base design but the SE2011 fans have the PWM function. Aside from that they are supposed to have the same CFM and RPM ratings. That's on paper.

The NN-D14 SE2011 is a brand spanking new cooler, the older NH-D14 original is the exact same cooler I tested almost 2 years ago with the new SecuFirm2 LGA2011 mounting system. They are physically two different coolers, with different fans, different manufacturing runs. The only way I can think to rule the cooler or the fan out is to swap the fans and retest the coolers.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson