AMD A64 3800+ Socket 939

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD A64 3800+ Socket 939

Post by Apoptosis »

Good Morning From Taiwan!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we just posted our review on on AMD's Socket 939 3800+ Processor

Here is a blurb:

"At default voltages (1.55V) the 3800+ (939-pin) could easily overclock up to 219MHz FSB before the system would become unstable under heavy loads. After cranking the voltage up a bit to 1.65V we were able to hit 223MHz FSB..."

AMD Socket 939 Processor's Arrive!! @ Legit Reviews
Linky
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Amazing... that is just amazing preformace. i want one soooooo bad.. but as i feared they priced them selves right out of the ball park. $500 for the lowest end cpu is nuts. Why cant AMD get the picture. if you make lots of inexpencive cpus and keep the same socket around for 4 or 5 years and keep your OEMs up to date then you sell LOTS of cpus. This would be my next computer if they offered me a s939 cpu at ~$200. now i may end up with an intel because they will still sell me a cpu for $200
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I have never actually used an AMD CPU, but have heard great things. the performance seems to be right there with the Intel CPUs, but for alot less money. do you think after factoring in the ability to use non-registered memory, and considering the major overhaul in the Intel setup, that the $720 price is still pretty good? i mean by the time you upgrade to the new board, BTX, DDR2, and PCI Express, wouldn't AMD CPUs make more sensse? Do you think Intel is pricing themselves out of the game? Do you think they are losing customers over things like Prescott and Tejas?
Being fairly new to alot of this, it has been fascinating to watch over the last year.
If you had to choose, which would it be? Intel or AMD, I know both have a serious fan base, but if you could choose, money not being a factor, simply performance how would you go?
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

This will be great, but right now I only have the funds to upgrade to the Barton class, bottom of it. And no more. So I will be able to upgrade a year later to the top of the Barton line without changing mobo n stuff. But not more, the next upgrade will have to be a full system again. Not good, these everchanging socket's n stuff :(

At least for guys with less money, that is.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I think Intel is definilty priceing them selves out of the game except for one thing. they will contiue to make s478 for a while longer. unless intel or amd drop their prices on the new tech soon there is no way people are going to spend this kind of cash. if im going to build a new computer im looking at ~$1000 total not including software, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The Prices on the amd s939 makes that impossible.

$500 CPU
$150 Mobo
$250 Ram
$200 Video
$100 HD
$50 DVD
$50 Case+psu
----------------------
$1250

now if you bring the cpu down in price $250 its in the top end of my price range. I think its reasonable to pay this much for a decent gaming computer. and i think this is the top end of what the average overclocker/gamer can or is willing to pay.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

The good thing about the new AMD, unless i'm mistaken, is that it doesn't require registered memory, which helps the price out alot, even more if you use the memory you already have. That allows you to buy piece at a time, except for the mobo and CPU.
Doing some case mods today. I'm going to mount the pump to the frame, cut a hole in my case door so I can install some plexiglass and a 120 mm fan, and going to wire my pump into the rhebus,
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

All the new socket 939 use standard DDR ram as of right now........I did read something that said that their will be a new socket 900 for using DDR2 down the road............ :shock: Something like that anyway.......... 8)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

There is a rumor that there will be a new socket for ddr2 and dual core cpus.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I thought that's what I said............. :twisted:
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

infinite amd has already stated that that dual core are totally compatible with the current 940 pin.
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AMD A64 3800+ Socket 939

Post by eva2000 »

Apoptosis wrote:Good Morning From Taiwan!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we just posted our review on on AMD's Socket 939 3800+ Processor

Here is a blurb:

"At default voltages (1.55V) the 3800+ (939-pin) could easily overclock up to 219MHz FSB before the system would become unstable under heavy loads. After cranking the voltage up a bit to 1.65V we were able to hit 223MHz FSB..."

AMD Socket 939 Processor's Arrive!! @ Legit Reviews
Linky
awsome i'm tempted to get a Asus A8V and 3500+ seems like a must with all the ram i have here to play around with LOL... but here it costs

A8V = $209
AMD64 3800+ = $1172
AMD64 3500+ = $805
AMD64 3400+ = $683

heh
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

Dang eva!

Check out newegg.com (s939 3800+ for $715) and I'll bet you'll still pay less even with international shipping.

On another note, AMD does need to offer some lower end products in the s939 configuration for those of us with little cash. That way we could buy mobos for future upgrades. I think I'll wait a couple more months to see if they can come out of their confusion.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Xerxes wrote:infinite amd has already stated that that dual core are totally compatible with the current 940 pin.
The problem with that is that 940 is not compatible with 939.
Wolfgang70 wrote:On another note, AMD does need to offer some lower end products in the s939 configuration for those of us with little cash. That way we could buy mobos for future upgrades. I think I'll wait a couple more months to see if they can come out of their confusion.
If you take a look here ed outlines what he thinks prices will look like for the s939 and s754. Yes amd offers some less expencive cpus but only on a s754 that will be obsolete and not upgradeable in less than a year. which is when amd will likly start pricing s939 at ~200. i dont know about you but i guess i will have to keep my current system until then or buy a p4 2.8 presshot if i want to upgrade.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The way AMD is running things these days, you can plan on seeing lower clock speed socket 939's only after the top end ones have been out for a whitl...........just like the socket 754 CPU............AMD is being rather stupid on this crap as of late..........and i don't see it changing any time soon.............. :shock:
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

Wolfgang70 wrote:Dang eva!

Check out newegg.com (s939 3800+ for $715) and I'll bet you'll still pay less even with international shipping.

On another note, AMD does need to offer some lower end products in the s939 configuration for those of us with little cash. That way we could buy mobos for future upgrades. I think I'll wait a couple more months to see if they can come out of their confusion.
actually would cost more..

US$715 / 0.68 = (AUD$1051 + 5% customs duty + shipping cost) + 10% GST = AUD$1323 :shock:

does A8V work with clockgen utilities and lower multipliers in windows ?
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

Oops! Sorry Eva. I thought you had already converted that total to US$.