AMD Licenses ARM Technology - ARM TrustZone technology

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD Licenses ARM Technology - ARM TrustZone technology

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD Licenses ARM Technology - ARM TrustZone technology Coming To APUs

Over the past year there has been much speculation that AMD and ARM would enter some sort of an IP licensing deal. Many expected to hear some big announcement like AMD licensing ARM’s CPU cores or ARM licensing AMD's Radeon IP, but that didn't exactly happen. That changed today when AMD announced it will integrate the ARM TrustZone technology into future Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) via a system-on-a-chip (SoC) design methodology.

Article Title: AMD Licenses ARM Technology - ARM TrustZone technology Coming To APUs
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/1956/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
CoachAub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: AMD Licenses ARM Technology - ARM TrustZone technology

Post by CoachAub »

With all the bad press AMD gets, I think they've put themselves in a position to ensure their future. The companies involved have put some good forward thought into their plans. Intel is a step behind in this regard, at least for now. I could see them catching up, but their path isn't the same right now. I've read some articles where tech folks think PCs are going to be gone soon, and we'll be cloud computing from various devices in the near future. If you look at NVIDIA and their cloud technology now, they too are in a prime position to move forward. I love my PC and don't want to give it up.

Cloud computing for enthusiasts like myself is like letting someone else drive my car.

I see the ole campaign promise of Obama where "everyone will have internet", free internet coming true. Why? Because cloud computing will require you to pay for computing services anyway once online. It will be an "amped-up" version of paying for your own game server that everyone will end up getting if they want to game or do anything more than social networking and such.
Rig#1: Intel i5-3570K, MSI-B75MA-P45 mobo, G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4gb, MSI-7870 2gd5t/oc gpu, Tt TR2-600w psu, Tt Commander Snow ed. Case, Cooler Master Hyper212+ HSF, OCZ Agility3 SSD 120GB, WE Caviar Black 750GB
Rig#2: AMD Phenom 2-970, MSI-890FXA-GD-65 mobo, 6GB Geil DDR3-1333, HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB gpu, Antec Quattro-850 psu, Rosewill Conqueror Case, Zalman CNPS-9500 hsf, 1TB Toshiba Sata3 HD
bigdata
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: AMD Licenses ARM Technology - ARM TrustZone technology

Post by bigdata »

Intel has it's own equivalent of TrustZone technology built into its processors. Its called TXT. AMD was developing its own Secure Execution Environment, but it looks like AMD ran out of time. That is why they added the ARM TrustZone technology. Vendors like Microsoft are urging processor vendors to support secure boot and some sort of Trusted Execution Environment to protect data and proprietary content.

To use the TrustZone hardware security extensions, developers must run a secure kernel as well as a normal operating system. There is open source software at http://www.openvirtualization.org that allows ODMs/OEMs to support TrustZone technology.